Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

My AVG anti-virus software detected the FakeAlert virus but

Customer Question

My AVG anti-virus software detected the FakeAlert virus but could not heal my computer. I did get a fake alert the other day, which was hard to close out of, and my computer has been running way toooo slow. Help. How do I get rid of the virus? Every site I go to that says it can remove the virus also comes with warnings that says it could harm my computer. I am afraid to do anything! Thanks so much for your [email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.

FakeAlert s a trojan that displays fake warning alerts or messages in order to promote the rogue security application. Once infected, you may receive warning alerts, messages and annoying popups; it also installs third party components that can track your online activities without your permission.

In order to remove the same, please download the following removal tool:

Hopefully, this should get rid of the trojan all right ..keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do I click on "run" or "save"? I had gotten this far but saw the warning and got scared. I am trusting you! Just tell me my next step. It is nearly midnight in NY, and this grandmas is pooped and would like to take care of this and go to sleep! Thanks, Barun.

Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Just save the file, and run the same once downloaded onto your system ..let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

barun, we are not there. you had me install a spyware program; FakeAlert is a virus. Does spyware get rid of a virus?

I ran the spyware which picked up about 16 items, all of which it classified as false positives. FakeAlert was not mentioned. I decided to run my AVG anti-virus software again to see if the virus was gone. It is still there. It is still scanning and is has once again found the FakeAlert virus. I cannot keep my eyes open to see if this time it is able to heal it or quarantine it, so I won't know too immediately.

You have such a wonderful record of solving others' problems, I truly hope you are going to be able to do the same with me. I await your next email! The virus is located in a temporary Internet file. Barbara

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
P.S. The virus file is called freescan[1].htm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last message of the night: Scan is over. FakeAlert still present. Has not been fixed. What's next? Will be back online sunday a.m. Hopefully I will have heard from you. Thanks, barun. Barbara
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
In the true sense, FakeAlert functions not so much a virus, as a spyware ..with all of the typical symptoms of the same, like false alerts, pop-ups and other nagging activities, like online tracking, etc. Therefore, it can be best dealt with by a good anti-spyware program, rather than an antivirus.
Please download and install the following antispyware program:
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware

Done that, run the same; when it prompts you for an automatic update of the program, do it accordingly, then run a full system scan of your computer and reboot thereafter.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

barun, I downloaded and ran a full scan w/the second spyware pkg you suggested. Then I again ran my anti-virus software and discovered that the virus is still there and was not "healed."

Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Ok ..I'm looking further into the issue now ..please clarify if the location of the threat detected by AVG is something as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxxxx\freescan[1].htm

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
something like that...but I don't remember all the words before temporary internet files. It was definitely in temporary internet files. and it derfionitely had freescan[1].htm
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Ok ..please download the following security tool onto your system:
Done that, please reboot in Safe Mode (by tapping the F8 key at startup, and selecting Safe Mode accordingly in the Advanced Startup Options windows), and run the tool, following the enlisted steps:
1) Double-click on SmitfraudFix, press 2 in the options menu, and hit Enter to scan for and delete infected files.
2) You will be prompted as follows: Do you want to clean the registry? Answer Y (yes) and hit Enter in order to remove the desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
3) The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found): Replace infected file? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to restore a clean file.
4) Thereafter, reboot your system and see if it has gotten rid of the specfic malware.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Barun, thank you. While waiting for a response (and your latest is much too much for me to do w/o guidance, I called Dell. We were on the phone for a couple of hours....cleaned out all temporary files....they did multiple scans, and the virus is gone.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Glad to see your issue fixed ..the steps I had mentioned in my earlier post should have done the same as well, anyways thanks for using JustAnswer!