Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

How do I compress a video file so I can upload and email

How do I compress a video file so I can upload and email?

Could you specify the file type (i.e. .avi, .mpeg, etc) of the video file you are trying to compress?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Originally the file was in .mov file, then my 10 year old said I should put it in a zip file. So now I assume it is in a zip file?

I am sorry, I am not computer literate at all. Thank you so much. And bear with me.Foot in mouth

Ok ..a simple wordaround to compress the movie file as a zip file will be to follow the steps enlisted below:
1) First off, extract the MOV file from the zip file you created earlier.
2) Change the file type of the movie from .mov to .txt, and compress it once again.
3) Now, it should be compressed to quite an extent as a zip file.
4) Thereafter, you should be able to email the compressed file; just include instructions to change the file type .txt file thus compressed, to .mov, in order to view the same.
PS - If the file type is not visible so as to change it, please go to Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Folder Options, and in the View tab, look for and uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types, and apply the settings.

If this doesn't work for you, or if you need to convert the .mov file to a different movie file type of smaller size, please let me know so that I can follow up further.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, let me go in and try this. I may need further help, because some of the words you are using are unfamiliar to me,(Extract and such), but I am going to try it. There is a first time for everythingSmile I will get back to you if I have any more questions or I will hit the accept button. Thank you so much
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, I have no idea how to extract that from the .mov file, I have tried looking around, but do not have a clue. Can you help me with that?
Do you have the original MOV file present? If so, just continue from Step 2 of my earlier post. If the MOV file is zipped as you mentioned earlier, as a ZIP file, just open the same; there should be an option in WinZip to extract the MOV file present within it to your system ..let me know how it goes.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay this is what I do not know how to do. I still have some in .mov format.

Change the file type of the movie from .mov to .txt, and compress it once again.

I open the photo album, and then it lists all my filed in that Photo Album. For example. one of the videos is labeled "Christmasshow". On the bottom, I have it set to "All files"

I click on my file, and try to open it, it will not let me do it. So how do do I get that file moved from .mov to .txt???? What do I click on? Do I right click on something? Do I drag the bottom arrow down to "txt"? I do not know how to move it. I need explicit directions on how to do that.

Am I making sense? I am not even sure if I know I am making sense. Sorry to cause you trouble.

Thank you.

You simply have to rename the file extension of the movie file from .mov to .txt; for ex - from Christmasshow.mov to Christmasshow.txt. Before doing this please carry out the part I mentioned in my earlier post, as follows:
PS - If the file type (i.e. .mov) is not visible so as to change it, please go to Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Folder Options, and in the View tab, look for and uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types, and apply the settings.
Thereafter, carry out the rest of the steps accordingly.

I would suggest you to take the help of a computer savvy friend in order to carry out the steps I have mentioned, if you are not comfortable with the same ..keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay, I did what you told me to do, I unchecked the Hide Extensions, so now it is coming up .mov.

But you are telling me to rename the file extension from .mov to .txt. That is what I am not getting?? I had two files, one is a .mov, one is a .zip file. So I am using the .mov file like you said.

I do not know how to get to the part to rename it. How do you rename it? I only know what I did for winzip. I just right clicked on the file name, and it said "send to winzip" and it did. I do not see anywhere where it shows "rename file as .txt"

I can do the rest, I just do not know how to rename it from .mov to .txt

Do I click on "Files" then "Shared documents" then "shared pictures" then "Kodak PIctires" then click on "Christmas" it brings up the files and in there is where is says "Christmasmovie.mov"

You hit open, and it will open as long as the drop box menu down below is in "all files"

if I cange it to "txt" it will not come up because I have not renamed it.

?????

Thank you again

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I was able to rename it now to a txt file. Still to big to email it says. I am trying to upload it on to youtube, but I still think I did something wrong as it is still showing the file at 116mb.

I am going to have my husband look at this when he gets home.

My 10 yo was able to figure out your directiosn as to how to rename the file, and compress it again, Just not sure why it is still saying it is 116mb??

If I cannot get it uploaded onto youtube, then I know there is something not right. Thank you and I will post later this afternoon.

In that case, I'm afraid the file size of your movie file is too large to be sent directly by email, however you may try to compress the same. Instead, I would suggest you to upload the file in an online file sharing website, i.e. www.driveway.com, enter your & the recipient's email addresses in the site, and send the file accordingly for the recipient to download your file from the site. Before doing this, please make sure to upload the original MOV file, not the renamed or compressed ones. If not, please make changes accordingly and upload the file thereafter, ignoring the steps I mentioned in my earlier posts ..this should do it.

Hope it helps ..let me know if you need further assistance in this matter.

Regards