Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant
Experience:  10 years+ IT Networking/Security, UNIX, Wireless

can you watch a different channel on slingbox than the one

can you watch a different channel on slingbox than the one playing on home Tv
Category: Computer
Expert:  Flagbridge-IT replied 7 years ago.
You can not.

The slingbox is not a tuner it is packetizer for video streaming. You however can change the home channel, and if your DVR has two tuners in it, you may be able to do picture in picture.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After talking with someone who has Slingbox Pro and watching on his computer I don't accept your answer, you can watch a different channel than whats playing on the home TV.
Slingbox does not operate as a tuner.

So that is INCORRECT.

The TV does not need top be on. The TV can play a DVD or something, but you are plugged into the tuner, and it is the tuner that decides what channel to play. NOT the slingbox, and NOT the TV.

So if the TV is watching a DVD then you can watch a channel. But if the TV is watching a channel from the tuner, that is the same channel that is exported to slingbox unless there are multiple tuners within the PVR/DVR that slingbox is setup on.

In addition, the Slingbox PRO, TUNER and CLASSIC include an internal tuner, so for standard cable (coaxial) inputs, you can set up your Slingbox to watch either your TV, DVR, etc. while the remote user watches standard cable (or vice versa). Also, many customers connect the Slingbox to a secondary TV source in another room to avoid remote conflicts.

However that only works for CLASSIC cable, it does not work for any enahanced cable, sattelite etc.

The PRO is a different version, which you did not highlight in your first question.

As I said this is based on the number of tuners. The PRO has a simple tuner for regular cable.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX think I'll check out other sources.
Check the FAQ on

I know exactly how the technology works. Once you confirm please ACCEPT the answer.