w.olson
w.olson, Systems Administrator
Experience:  10+ years as a Systems Administrator working for an Internet Service Provider.
13601246

How do I turn off a web filter on my computer

Customer Question

How do I turn off a web filter on my computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  w.olson replied 5 years ago.

By web filter, do you mean to say that your internet service has a content filter? Or are you using some kind of filtering software?

Please provide me with an example of what you are trying to do that it will not let you do so that I can provide you with the appropriate steps to take to resolve the issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not using any filtering software. I think the filter has been set as a default on my software. This is a new laptop. I'm trying to get on Skype.com and it won't let me. It says webfilter violation and says it's an unauthorized website and to contact my administrator. Right now, I'm in Thailand (from USA), so calling someone is not feasible.
Expert:  w.olson replied 5 years ago.

How are you connecting to the internet there? Is it a dsl line or internet cafe or etc?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please forgive my ignorance. I am sure you can tell I am not very computer literate. Anyway, it is a wireless network connection. I hope that answers your question.
Expert:  w.olson replied 5 years ago.

No problem, we'll figure it out..

Okay, so you are using a wireless network, is the network you are connecting to in a hotel or an iternet cafe or a business network.. Or is this a cellular wireless connection?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in a hospital
Expert:  w.olson replied 5 years ago.

Okay, well, unfortunately it seems as though you are connecting using a network that in all likelyhood is blocking your ability to use skype.. The message you are recieving is likely being generated by the hospital's servers telling you that what you are trying to do is not allowed on their network. It's not your computer, and unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do to make it work.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you better news, but it seems you won't be able to be making any skype calls from that location.

There's a slim chance that you might be able to talk somebody into letting you use it, but that all depends on their policies, your situation, and how well you can communicate what it is that you are trying to do.

Good Luck with your communications!

Please click "accept" if you feel I've fully answered your question.

w.olson, Systems Administrator
Experience: 10+ years as a Systems Administrator working for an Internet Service Provider.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,s W. Olson. Appreciate your help. Maybe I am no so dumb after all. :)