Nicholas Ramsay
Nicholas Ramsay, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Systems Engineer 10 years +LAN, WAN, Information Security, VOIP and wireless internet expert as well as small computer repair.
2623110

Somehow, Macrovisions Software Manager has gotten onto my

Customer Question

Somehow, Macrovision's Software Manager has gotten onto my computer. It has several programs, 'agent.exe', 'ISUSPM.exe', and probably more that are supposed to monitor software updates. Instead, these programs have taken over my CPU, running it at 100% virtually continually, so it is not responsive at all. While the 'Software Manager' icon is on the control panel, it is not listed in the uninstall list.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nicholas Ramsay replied 8 years ago.
Ok thanks for the question.

Yes this program is not a threat however it should not be using the amount of recourses it has taken. So you can uninstall this program and keep its parts from starting but if you do be warned it may keep some programs from working “non Microsoft” If you notice those program stop working after we do this then simply reinstall them and it should fix the issue you have before.
So clearly you are smart enough to figure out how to look at your task manager and identify “agent.exe” and “ISUSPM.exe” so doing these next steps should be easy enough for you. We will disable them in the start up by doing this.
Click on Start/run/type msconfig and hit enter
Then click on start up and uncheck those 2 items. Also see if they are under services and uncheck them as well. You will then need to restart your computer.

Do remove them from your computer completely simply search for those files by
Clicking on start/ search type agent.exe then hit enter. Once you have found the file you can navigate to the directory it shows you and remove that file and anything in its base directory so if its in something like this.   C:\program files\macro\agent.exe you can remove the Macro folder. However if its in something like this C:\windows\system32\agent.exe you defiantly wouldn’t want to delete the “system32 folder”
The best thing to do seeing as how those files are not a threat is just to simply disable them in the before mentioned msconfig. That way you don’t have to worry about deleting anything you shouldn’t.

I hope this has helped. Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, I was able to uncheck only ISUSPM.exe in the startup tab, the agent.exe was not there. Neither was it in the Services tab. BUt, when restarting the computer, I find that the CPU useage is down around 11% which it never had been. That is great. But, I also have a system configuration utility that will undo the changes I made! Should I check the box that will not launch the utility? I also want to get rid of the program entirely, so I'll try deleting the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Install Shield\Update Service. Would that be OK?
That sounds perfect! Yes you can check the box that keeps the utility from starting. You are safe with deleting stuff in the install shield folder. If a program needs it again it will just reinstall it. So it sounds like your problem is fixed. Gratz! and thank you for the accept. Have a nice day.

PS. It is not required to click on 'accept answer" for this response.