Nicholas Ramsay
Nicholas Ramsay, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Systems Engineer 10 years +LAN, WAN, Information Security, VOIP and wireless internet expert as well as small computer repair.

What do I do about this message File or directory C SMft

What do I do about this message: File or directory C:\SMft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk Utiity? I don't know where to begin. Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nicholas Ramsay replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question!
This often means there is something wrong with your hard drive. Usually a corrupt portion of it. That’s why they are asking you to run check disk. You can do this or you can try to reinstall the program installed in that directory. If you are unsure then try running check disk be following the instructions below.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures: • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:
Exit code Description
0 No errors were found.
1 Errors were found and fixed.
2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.
3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

I hope this helps!