Patrick Ryan M
Patrick Ryan M, BS in Information Technology
Experience:  9 years experience in troubleshooting computers, networks, Windows OS, assembly and upgrade

How do I get rid of blue HP Update box on my desktop Right

How do I get rid of blue HP Update box on my desktop? Right clicks don't does not respond to anything!
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OS: Windows Vista

Already Tried:
Right clicking on blue "window" on desktop..nothing responds!
Expert:  Patrick Ryan M replied 7 years ago.

You can disable it from running by using msconfig. Click on Start, type msconfig on the search box and press Enter. If it prompts for a username and password XXXXX asks for your permission, enter the username and password XXXXX give permission to continue. The System Configuration window will appear. Click on Startup tab and uncheck HP Software Update on the list below. Click Ok and restart your computer.

Tell me if this fixed your problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks very much! Hope this doesn't come back again! Why did it appear in the first place? If it returns in the next few days, do I just repeat your instructions?
Nice to hear it fixed your problem. It is installed by default and HP automatically checks for updates occasionally. It is not supposed to reappear once you disabled it from startup. If it ever does reappear, you can permanenly delete it by manually removing it from windows registry. Just click Start and type regedit on the Search box and press Enter. In the Registry Editor window, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. A list of startup items will be shown to the right. Right click on the HP Software Update and click delete.