Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

I cannot open PDF files from Outlook . I need to save to my

Customer Question

I cannot open PDF files from Outlook . I need to save to my documents first, then open. I have Adobe acrobat 9 installed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 8 years ago.

What's the message, if any, you get while trying to open a PDF file in Outlook? Also, what version of Outlook Express do you have?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I try to open ,it opens in Microsoft photo editor and reads unknown format. I have Outlook 2000.
Expert:  Barun replied 8 years ago.

Please follow the enlisted steps to try and correct your issue:

Go to Start>Control Panel>Appearances and Themes>Folder Options. Then, click the File Types tab in the context menu that opens up. There should be a list of file types associated with your system, scroll down till you get the .pdf file extension and check if it Opens with Adobe Acrobat 9. If not, then change it to open with Adobe Acrobat 9, in the box below, and apply the changes.

If you have the .pdf extension already registered with Adobe Acrobat, but still cant open the PDF attachments in Outlook with the same, you should consider uninstalling and downgrading Adobe Acrobat to a lower version, as its latest versions are reported to have bugs working with Outlook Express.

There's an alternative: FoxIT Reader, which I personally use instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader for opening .pdf files, as it is much faster and lighter on the system. I would recommend you to download and use it as well should work fine with Outlook.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The adobe change did not work. I downloaded the FoxIT Reader and it works well.

Thank you

Expert:  Barun replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome!

Thanks for the Accept.