Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

How can I correct choppy video on my PC

Customer Question

How can I correct choppy video on my PC?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

What type of videos are you trying to watch, Internet or saved onto your computer?

What operating system are you using?

What type of internet connection are you using?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This only happens when I want to play a clip or video from the internet. Playing DVD's are no problem. My internet connection is through AOL. I'm using Windows XP on my PC. When I play a video or clip from the internet, it will start to play and then stop for a second or two then start to play again, etc. How do I correct this?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Is your AOL dial up or broadband?

Could you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose the processes tab, Then check the show processes from all users box and tell me how many processes it shows as running.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I connect to aol via broadband (Vorizon). I checked the process tab and counted 38 processes running.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I'm still waiting for an answer. It's been two days since I repied to your questions. Please advise.

Arthur

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Sorry,

For some reason my answr did not post, Could you follow this guide fromNetSquirrel to turn off any unneeded start up items http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html once finished could you reboot your machine and then download and run Malwarebytes antimalware from here http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

After it has rebooted again could you download and run Ccleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ then could you try one of your movies again and let us know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

It's a bit better, but the video clips still start and stop. Also I now have a new box on my screen that says "Recover Pro partition space has been used completely. As a result, some of the existing incremental restore points will be removed to free more space. A new incremental restore point has been created automatically. I can't get rid of this notice. Please help.

thanks,

Arthur

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Update: I was able to remove the Phoenix Recover Pro programe from my PC. This eliminated the Recover Pro box from my screen. However, the video clips I try to play are still choppy. They play, then stop every three seconds, then play again and stop again. This still happens even after I did all the things you suggested. What should I do?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Seeing as you ran a recovery program could you go through and perform the steps I posted again as if you recovered your machine it would have been to a time prior to the changes I suggested.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already did and I still get a choppy playback when I go to play a video clip.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

What antivirus and antispyware programs are you using?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I have the following programs:

Advance Reg. Optimizer

Net Spring Data Recovery

IRIS OCR Reg

Antivirus Scan

Online Spyware Test

RegCure

System Mechanic

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Reg Mechanic

CCleaner

I have no idea why I have all of these.

Thanks

Arthur

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you download and run the Microsoft Installer cleanup utlity from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and then use it to remove the following then reboot.

Advance Reg. Optimizer

Net Spring Data Recovery

Antivirus Scan

Online Spyware Test

RegCure

System Mechanic

Reg Mechanic

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I've done everything you suggested and it still dosn't work.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you tell me what web browser you are using?

Can you give me an example of one of the movies you are trying to watch.

Also could you run a speed test from here and let me know what it shows http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

86.16kilobits per second 10.52kilobytes per second

194.343seconds 6:21 PM Mon Sep 29, 2008

Bandwidth Place Speed Test

We are working on bringing back all the subscription features including the hosted test as soon as possible.

Explain the results

• Bits per second: How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet.
  • Bytes per second: The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

Bits(b), Bytes(B), and Baud

Bits and bytes are a measurement of electronic information. A byte is always 8 bits. Communications speeds are usually measured in bits per second while many computer operations are measured in bytes per second. A "56k" modem is 56 kilobits and a "2m" DSL connection is 2 megabits per second. "128MB" of RAM is 128 megabytes. Ideally when abbreviations are used, b means bits and B means bytes. Baud rate is another measure of transmission speed and is the number of actual signals sent per second. At one time it was equal to the bits per second, but modern technology allows us to send more than one bit per electric signal.

Mega(M) and kilo(k)

Traditionally kilo means one thousand exactly. In the communications world engineers call a thousand bits transmitted in a second 1 kilobit per second. Makes sense. Now while 1000 is a nice round number for humans to work with, it isn't for computers. Mathematically speaking humans use decimal or base 10 numbers and computers use binary or base 2. 1024 is 2 to the power of 10 which is a significant binary value and so is represented by kilo in the computer world. Mega is similar except it means one million and in the computer world is 1024 kilo or 1,048,576. Ideally when abbreviations are used, k means 1000 and K means 1024.

Where is the login?

The login, hosted test, stats, subscriptions, etc. are temporarily down. This free, unlimited test is available to all users.

Sponsored links

Freeware Speed Test
Free trial for automated speed testing and more...
Netgear Wireless
Find Local Wireless Information. View Top Results.
Find Internet Access
Find The Widest Variety Of Internet Access On The Web. Buy Now!

Buy a link here

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

86.16 kilobits per second 10.52 kilobytes per second is terrible, Your download speed of 10.25 is a fraction of the speed of dialup never mind broadband.

Can you reboot the machine and run the test again, Then let me know if the speed is any higher if not you will need to speak to your broadband provider as you are not getting broadband speeds.

Let me know what the test shows.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Eric I will reboot and let you know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

The new test shows:

883 kbps

150 kbps

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

That is a lot better, What happens if you try to play a video straight away?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the problem seems to be that the video clip plays faster than it loads.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I understand that however I am trying to find it the internet connection is to blame or if your machine is not buffering fast enough.

Can you give me an example of a video you are trying to play.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It happens with all video from the internet. All AOL video, all YouTube video, etc. I have no trouble playing DVDs.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you run ccleaner to clear out all of your temp files and then try a video again.

After you have tried the video press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select the processes tab then tell me how many processes are running.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I have just run ccleaner and have check the process tab. There are 68 processes running.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you reboot the machine and login then wait 2-3 minutes without doing anything and check the processes again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I've completed all you suggested. The process tab now lists 67 processes.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

WhenI suggested running the Msconfig program did you not turn off startup items?

I need you to go through again and this time turn off anything that is not essential and reboot. Use this guide to run msconfig http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

Than use this guide to see if you need the startup entry or not http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

When you are finished let me know how many processes are running.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK

I've done all. There are now 73 processes running.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Let me make sure this is correct, You had 67 running now you have 73, Is that correct?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes. I've tried to send you a printout of the list of start up files, but it will not let me. Do you have an email I can use? Eric I really appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Arthur

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Can you send it to info@justanswer.com and tell themto forward it to me.

Thanks

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I got a copy of the startup guide I sent you, However I did not get a list of your startup items.

Could you open CCleaner and click tools then Startup, Next hold down the CTRL button and press prt screen on the keyboard.

Open Word pad from Start, Programs, Accessories and then click FIle, Paste to paste the image of your desktop and send the saved document to me.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It will not let me send it to you.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Just for the moment try this, Open Msconfig and uncheck everything in your startup menu then save and reboot, If you have any issues just go back into msconfig and turn it all back on.

When it reboots let me know how many processes are running then try a video.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Success at last! Should I do anything else? I mean as far as my start up is concerned.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that there are 37 prosecces running now.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Well,

To be honest we really need to go through the startup list and see if they should be on or off as you may have turned off your antivirus temporarily.

If you open Msconfig and click the startup tab then go one at a tme and search using the box on the Sysinfo page http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php just type the startup name in the white box and then hit search next to it and only enable it if it has a Y for leave at startup.

Once you have done that to everything on your startup list also look under start, programs, Startup folder and remove everything it lists then reboot and you should be all done.

Thanks

Experience: approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Thanks so much for spending so much of your time helping me. Everything seems to be fine now.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Glad to hear it is working,

Let us know if we can be of any help in the future.

Thanks for Using JustAnswer and thanks for the accept and feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your most welcome. Thanks again.