John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I have this magnifier box on my screen and I dont know how

Customer Question

I have this magnifier box on my screen and I don't know how it came up or how to make it go away other than restarting my system. How do I make it go away and stay away?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Try right clicking anywhere on the magnifiers window and choose Exit.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I right click I don't have an exit or close choice available.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok, can you give me any information on this magnifier such as the exact name on the title bar, and if there is Help or About items when you right click on the magnifier. Also do you see anything related to the magnifier in the taskbar or system tray?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is nothing in the taskbar and when I right click it shows the options for whatever the magnifier is over. I have checked the help info and it only tells how to make it appear but not how to get rid of it. My problem is that it keeps coming up without my doing anything to make it appear.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

I just got an assist from one if the experts on this site, here is what was suggested (thanks adski):

"Some Microsoft optical/laser mice with 'extra' buttons come with a button set to Magnifier as default (via the MS 'Intelli' software). I know because I used to press it all the time by accident - it's probably worth asking the user to press all side keys on their mouse and also press down the scroll wheel - they all do something annoying.."

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My mouse doesn't have any side keys and I checked the user manual and the magnifier isn't an option for the scroll bar. Any other ideas?
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

I see.

Ok, back to my previous question. I need to know the exact name of the magnifier program (which can be found in the title bar of the magnifier or from the help menu).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know the name of it. It doesn't show anywhere as a separate program. There is no title bar on the magnifier, it is just a 3"x4" box that appears on the screen and everything in the box is magnified. It follows the cursor so it is impossible to see an entire page of anything when it is on. When I click on the help in the task bar it is the help for whatever program is running (e.g. IE, Word, etc.). I have looked at the online help for IE and it does have a magnify feature but it only tells how to activate it, not deactivate it.

This may just be one of those computer mysteries that can't be solved given our knowledge.

Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Look in the taskbar (the bar at the bottom of your screen). Is there any item called magnifier, magnify, glass, etc?

Also look in the system tray (the right side of the taskbar near the clock) and hover your mouse over the icons there, one by one, to see if any of them says magnifier etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once again, there is nothing in the task bar, the task tray, or in Task Manager that says a program is running. I have closed all my applications and just left the magnifer on the desktop, opened task manager and it will not show any applications running. This is an intermittant problem so it just may be one of MS XP "undocumented features" and I will just need to keep rebooting to get rid of it. Thank you for making an effort but it doesn't seem like this is one you will be able to solve.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Strange! The windows default magnifier should show up as minimized on the taskbar.

I am not sure whether the magnifier that you have on your desktop is actually the windows magnifier or some other third party utility (or malware). Here is how the windows 98 magnifier looks (the upper horizontal box across the picture).

graphic

As you can see, the taskbar at the bottom shows the Magnifier Settings.

One other thing I want you to try: Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier. This should bring up the windows 98 magnifier. Tell me what happens when you do that..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on XP not 98. I already tried that before I asked for help. The magnifier that comes up is a strip at the top of the screen and I am able to click in it to make it exit. The one that is bugging me is a free-standing box that follows my cursor. When I click on that magnifier it brings up the options for whatever is being magnified but not for the magnifier itself. Like I said, an undocumented feature.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

So why did you post Windows 98 in your oroginal question under OS:? You made me go out of my way to locate a computer that runs Windows 98 (which is hard to find these days) in order to replicate your situation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't see where it asked for operating system and I didn't put anything. Perhaps the system uses Win 98 as the default answer. I am sorry you went through the hassle of finding a system with that operating system. Perhaps next time you might want to verify the info before you go to that much trouble.