John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

How do I easily save emails from Outlook 2007 to my folder

How do I easily save emails from Outlook 2007 to my folder structure on my hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

What exactly are you wishing to do with your messages?

Are you wanting to save a copy to your documents folder?

Give us a little more info.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I am trying to save copies of emails (in and out) to my documents folders in a format (.doc, pdf, etc.) that I can retreive and view. I can currently save them using "save as" and specifying format, and navigating through to the folders, but this is slow, requires me to open the mail to save it, and requires me to create titles for the saved docs. Sometimes this is fine, but sometimes there are multiple docs with the same title.

Thanks,
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

What sort of volume do you wish to save and just out of curiosity why are you wishing to save them?

Let us know so we can get you a solution.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Either I can delete my emails, or I need to save them. I would probably wish to save 15-35 per day as they represent communications history between me and my clients, suppliers, etc.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

As Outlook is the program that is designed for you to keep your emails and attatchments organised for as long as you need , Even for years and to allow for sarching and reference, I cannot see the need to save in your documents so I am going to opt out and see if another expert can help you.

Thanks

Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Here is a smart way to save your email messages from Outlook to the hard drive or any other drive.

First create a new folder on your desktop, then close all open windows and application. Next open Outlook and resize and move Outlook window so that the new folder on your desktop is visible in the background. Now in Outlook open the email folder that you want to copy the messages from (e.g. Inbox), select the messages and simply drag them to the new folder on the desktop, When you finish go to that folder and copy it to another drive or location.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In my first response to a question (see above) noted that I was trying to save the messages in a format that was easily and readily usable (.doc, .pdf). Saving the messages by moving them in the Outlook format is not acceptable as it is not a readily usable format in other circumtances - .rtf, txt, doc, etc. are all formats that allow for easy opening, manipulation, editting, etc. if necessary.

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with this. It seems to me to be a practical document control function.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

The only 'standard' editable format you can save outlook messages to is txt format. However, that can be done for each message separately, or for multiple messages but into a single txt file. To save messages into txt file select the message in the message window or from the message listing and click File > Save As then choose Text Only (*,txt) from the 'Save as type' drop down menu.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.