D.A.(Tony) Stewart
D.A.(Tony) Stewart, Professional Engineer (Electronics)
Experience:  BSc EE 1975 computing experience since 1970. Fixed thousand of PC's that run slow or erratic

Hi, if I boot PC from recovery CD for windows vista, then ...

Customer Question

Hi, if I boot PC from recovery CD for windows vista, then choose language, then choose expert mode, I then get a warning that the hard drive will completely be erased. Will choosing this option save any music or pictures I have saved or will I lose everything?
Category: Computer
Expert:  D.A.(Tony) Stewart replied 8 years ago.
Yes that certainly sounds confusing. Normally they are called Destructive Recovery or Non-Destructive Recovery and in the latter case the My DOcuments Folder is renamed to some backup name. I can address the TOshiba syntax later... Let's try to solve the error.
Can you boot to safe mode? restart....tap F8 F8 F8 F8 before the GUI logo then choose safe mode with networking in the startup menu.
THen 1) NOTE: If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously please delete that version and download it again!

Please download SmitfraudFix

Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious". But malware known to corrupt your permissions and force CPU lockup are identified and cleansed in the above program
Please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, double-click SmitfraudFix.exe (if you chose another user account.. then you must search for this )
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection. WHen you get a logfile.. save it and post the results here. When you are disinfected. we can discuss why you were not protected by N orton and then you can dump it in favor of my preferred protection. Thanks and G/L
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tried starting up in safe mode but it still doesn't bring up desktop,just error codes, so can't get any further. I just basically need to know if choosing expert mode would mean pictures etc would be saved.
Jane Guy
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just tried again in safe mode message reads'WerFault.exe application error.The instruction at 0x75c7e476 referenced memory at 0x75c7e476. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

LogonUI.exe application error. The instruction at 0x75c7cd8d referenced memory at 0x75c7cd8d. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

By the way there was NO anti-virus on the PC believe it or not!
Infections can be triggered by;
HKLM (local machine i.e. all users) or HKCU (current user)
Did you try to logon into a different user name? user= "administrator"
you mean BLue Screen error codes? what file name? bad driver?
I would get a Vista boot CD and choose the advanced recovery option to backup all your pictures to removeable media. I can get a link to create this cd if you can't get one.
I have confirmed the answer of your original question.. but I would not trust it 100%.
Once vista is installed. go to "C" drive and there will be folder with says windows.old. where you can see all user's data.
I think what they are trying to warn you is, the user applications will no longer be installed if added post factory setup and you the users starts with a clean registry for HKCU.etc. I doubt Toshiba/Microsoft would not give you the option to recover data files.
Thank you for your trust in our advice, I hope you were able to recover and locate your personal files. Pls let me know what happened.