Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

my compaq lap top..boots up then screen turns white and ...

Customer Question

my compaq lap top..boots up then screen turns white and stays that way...
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

HI,

When you boot the machine do you see anything or does it go directly to a White Screen?

What model is your laptop?

Has it been stored in a hot place or dropped?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: hello the lap top is a compaq presario v2000
when it first boots it comes up with an error as windows did not start suggessfully a recent hardware or softwear change might have caused this

then it reads to open is safe mode..safe mode with networking...safe mode with command promt..ets then it goes to windows without me chosing which one..and it gets stuck on the windows xp page..only to turn white
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hello again it sort of fades to white if that helps..i can still see the windows xp..then it goes white..
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Could you try choosing safe mode by using the cursor arrows then presing enter and let me know if it still fades to white.

If it still fades to white could you try gently pinching the bezel around the screen in different places to see if the picture returns.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when I open in safe mode..a whole bunch of stuff comes up something about multi(0) disk (0) disk system 32 drivers ? just going down the screen   
and when I do pinch around the screen I see color but it goes away when I stop touching it..i hope I am writing all this stuff right..I am a grandma who has no idea what is going on with my computer
but thanks for your help..hoping you can help me further
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

You should see a lot of white writing on a black screen until your machine enters Safe Mode, Does that sound about right?

Also dont pinch anyting until the screen goes blank white, Then only pinch the plastic case around the screen not the screen itself.

Let me know if the machine goes into safe mode with no problems and keeps displaying correctly or if it goes white, If it does go blank white then and only then could you try pinching the case and let me know if the display returns.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
after I click on safe mode..it comes up with all that white writing..then it goes back to the same screen as the begining...safe mode..safe mode with networking..etc then it goes to try to open up with windows xp on screen and it seems to get stuck ..it gets stuck on the opening screen of windows xp...the little blue bar that usually goes to the end..gets stuck upon opening the screen...then it fades to white,...no nothing happens when i pinch
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are you still there??
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

So is the screen totally white or if you look closely do you see small lines through it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
totally white
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are you still there? if you cant help me please respond thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Do you have another monitor we can test with?

Do you have your windows CD?

If so what does it say on it?

Let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I only have the extra laptop I am working off now...I do not have the cd for that lap top..but I think I do have another windows xp cd around the house somewhere
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

What I would like to try is to put a standard windows XP CD into the drive and boot your machine from it, Then let it sit at the repair selection screen to see if the display fails when it gets warm.

This way if the screen fails when it is warm it would indicate a hardware based problem with either the graphics card or the LCD panel itself, If the panel does not fail then it would indicate an issue with your graphics card and Windows.

Let me know if you can find a CD.

Thanks