Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...

Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback

how do i restore my sony vaio laptop vgn-n29vn/b to ...

how do i restore my sony vaio laptop vgn-n29vn/b to factory settings
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert replied 8 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,
Ok, let's take a look at this;

Some of the following information may remove data that you may wish to keep, make sure to do backups on the files you wish to keep.

Depending on how what you mean restore factory settings, you can achieve this by the following; you can do a restore to the first day you purchased it.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, and then click next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5. Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6. The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

After reviewing the stability of your system, you can choose another restore point or undo this restoration. Just open System Restore and make the appropriate choice. After you use System Restore, you'll have an additional task; Undo my last restoration, on the System Restore Welcome page. Remember that you'll have to reinstall any programs that were installed after the restore point.

If System Restore doesn't work in Normal Mode, it might work in Safe Mode. To use System Restore in Safe Mode, press the F8 key during reboot and choose Safe Mode. When your computer starts in either Safe Mode or Normal Mode, System Restore can be used to capture a working previous state. System Restore can't be opened unless the system is bootable into one of these modes.

Next if this isn't what you wish to achieve you can do a complete format and install, this will remove all data and you will have a clean install.

Here is a step by step instruction to installing Vista completely.

Finally if you are talking about the resetting the bios you can do the following

Go into the bios or it is might be called boot settings,

Hit the del key (Some Computers it is F1, F2, Esc)

Set defaults

Exit save changes

If you need more help Let me know

Have another Question?

I am also an Expert in the following areas, please feel free to bookmark them all, then simply return to the proper profile and ask me another question;

Appliances.... Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman

Computer... Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert

Entertainment... Michael L..JA Entertainment Tonight

General Questions... Michael L...JA General Topic Expert

Home Improvement... Michael L...........JA Construction

Homework... Michael L.....JA Classroom Help 101

Plumbing... Michael L.......JA Plumbing Repair

Remember to type somewhere in the question, this is for Michael L.

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.