Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder

I have a HP Photosmart C5280 Printer and I am getting this ...

I have a HP Photosmart C5280 Printer and I am getting this error message - "! Print Cartridges" Refer to printer documentation. I don''t have any printer documentation and I don''t know what this error means
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is the full error message you are receiving?
-Is this error displayed on the printer itself?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The error on the printer window says:

!Print Cartridges

under that it says:

Refer to printer documentation
(are they talking about the manual?)

We tried taking the cartridges out and putting them back in, and then the message center came up and told us that the black ink cartridge was missing and that the door was not closed. I'm sorry I didn't retain the original message and I can't find it in the message center any more...

Yes they are talking about the manual for this printer, here is a link to the online documentation for your printer,

It sounds from what you are describing that the black ink cartridge did not seat correctly and this would explain the error message you are receiving, lets try removing just the black cartridge again and then reseat it and press firmly on the cartridge and then unplug the power cable from the back of the printer and leave it out for 30 seconds and then plug it back in and power it on. See if this resolves the error message.

here is a link to the instructions for replacing the ink cartridges correctly

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, it didn't help but thank you for the online documentation. Is there anything else you can think of or should I just accept now? I really would like to get this resolved this evening if able to...

You are very welcome,

Let me check the documentation on HP's site and see if i can provide any additional possible resolutions to this,

Let me ask when you lift the cover does the printer carriage slide freely by itself along the carraige bar?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no, it just shifts slightly. Should I try again to take it out and put it back in? I'm just afraid to force it and it just started acting like this without having initially taken it out...

Ahhh, ok if the print carriage is not moving it sounds like you have more serious issues with this printer, when you power it off and then back on you should hear the printer carriage slide back and forth along the bar.

If this is not occuring, there may be a problem with the carriage unit itself, i will be honest i am not sure if this can be realigned easily i would like to refer you to an online HP technician that will be able to better advise you on how to do this and will be more familiar with this exact error message. I will post a link below that will take you to the page where you can fill out your information and will put you into direct contact with an online HP techinician who is training on your printer model.

I apologize i was not able to resolve this issue for you but i hope this will help to get this resolved successfully for you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Rita!

You are very welcome, thank you for the Accept it is greatly appreciated.

I hope HP will be able to get this resolved for you.

If for any reason you have issues with the chat session here is HP's direct phone # XXXXX support,

HP and Compaq products800-HP invent
or(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most products

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again, I may just take it in to the shop tomorrow, they're pretty helpful there also.