Bits n Bytes
Bits n Bytes, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer repair

Internet Explorer is repeatedly failing to open my ...

Internet Explorer is repeatedly failing to open my mail with ''cannot display the web page'' message. All other web pages come up without problems. Three requests to Yahho for help and advice have been ignored. Can anyone help me access my mail please? problem started about three weeks ago ans was intermittent i.e. if I kept trying the page would open several hours later. Now it has been inaccessible for four days

Do this for me, please.

Go to start> run> type in cmd> press enter.

At the C prompt type in "tracert" (without the quotation marks) a space then your email webpages' URL. Hit enter and post the results here.

What is probably happening is your computer either can not resolve the url or you are being blocked by a router somewhere along the way.

Awaiting your reply; Bits n Bytes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello Bits n Bytes, Thanks for your reply. Done that and get:-
C:\Documents and Settings\xp>tracent   'tracent' is not recognized as an inetrnal or external command, operable program or batch file
!intl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Standing by and hoping Customer

lol you mistyped tracert (t r a c e r t) . That and dont use the http:// (http:77 ?)

copy and paste this (right click copy/paste) at the C prompt " tracert " without the quotation marks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bits n Bytes's Post: Oops1 put it down to senility please. This time the response is:- Unable to resolve target system name   '.intl' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. By the way Yahoo mail started functioning about four hours ago but who knows for how long?

Ok the problem you are experiencing is a DNS server issue.

There are big mainframe computers that are located at the main traffik hubs that all they do is translate the domain names (eg: into numbers ( to pass the packets to the appropriate web sites or ISP's.

Occasionally these go down just like any other system and then they have to be reloaded from the start. Fortunatly this doesnt happen too often.

What I suggest is that the next time this happens is that you contact your ISP and let them know. They can in turn notify the main frame center that there is an issue with their DNS servers.

There are a couple proceedures that your ISP will walk you through in order to ensure that it is not your computer that is causing this. They have the capability to observe a packet being sent to the web site from your computer and see where it goes, or doesn't go.

If you would like to see how a packet is routed to the web site you send your email to just type in the same thing as above but leave off everything after the / eg: "tracert" It was the rest of the command (the syntax [how a command is written]) that was screwing things up. Sorry about that. My bad.

You can also read about the tracert command by typing "tracert ?" after the command prompt.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.