John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

WHY HAS OUTLOOK STOPPED OPENING .XLS EMAIL ATTACHMENTS ...

Customer Question

WHY HAS OUTLOOK STOPPED OPENING .XLS EMAIL ATTACHMENTS SINCE MAY 30, 2008?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Some email servers block attachments that are executable files which may also include xls files. But if you are actually receiving the attachment and cannot open it try saving it first to My Documents or to the desktop, then quit Outlook and go to that location and open it from there.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had tried this earlier but it did not work.

I tried saving again but once again it did not save.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

What exactly do you mean by 'it did not save'. Were you able to get the Save As dialog box to choose a location to save it to? What happened then?

Can you find that file on your computer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I click on Save a second dialogue box pops up and says Outlook can not save.

When I click Open a dialogue box pops up and says, Can't create file:xxxtemplate.xls. Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Ok, let's first rule out the possibility that the file itself isn't corrupt. Try to send two email messages addressed to yourself. With the first attach an excel file, and with the second attached a standard .txt file. Make sure to choose files that can be opened and are not large in size.

When you have received the 2 mail messages back try to open or save the files and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, sent an email to my self with excel attachment and it would not open. then went to the source file and it would not open. I did uninstall the last microsoft up date while waiting for your replay. It would appear that I now did to put the Microsoft Office disk into the CD drive. It's getting late so I will carry on tomorrow.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

That sounds like you have a problem with your excel application and not with Outlook.

Ok, have you sent the file (i.e. the .txt file) as I suggested. If so please let me know if you were able to open the received file.