Trevor Stuart
Trevor Stuart, Chief Engineer
Experience:  10 years Computer repair troubleshooting and security analyst. Currently a Broadcast Engineer

I am trying to export an ACT Contact List to Excel. I ...

I am trying to export an ACT Contact List to Excel. I get the following error message: EXCEPTION form HRESULT:0x800A03EC.
Are you in ACT exporting to excel or using Excel to import? I'm guessing your at the Export point...
You said you're trying to export as an Excel file, you mean with .xls for the extension?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am trying to export the ACT Contact List to Excel.
I am using the icon in the toolbar in ACT to export.
The one click requires that you have Excel version 2000, 2002 or 2003, Do you have one of these?

Do you have any problems just opening Excel?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have Excel 2003. I do not have any problem opening excel.
Based on the fact that it keeps crashing when you try that function it would seem there is something corrupt in ACT.
First you need to backup your ACT data so nothing gets lost!

ACT data is stored in the Database folder unless you chose to store them in a different location. I'll give you instructions based on the default settings, but if you used a different location you'll need to backup the data from there.

The Database folder is located:

C:\Act\Database for ACT! 3.0

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Act\Database for ACT! 4.0

C:\My Documents\Act\Database for ACT! 2000

Each ACT database has 12 - 22 files depending on features you use. You should select all files in the Database that use the filename you assigned. Place them either in easy to understand folders on your desktop, or burn them to CD/DVD or put them on a thumdrive...

Next we will Uninstall and reinstall ACT.

Once backed up go to Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove program. Find ACT and uninstall it. Be sure to reboot when done, even if it doesn't ask you to.

At this point I would recomend doing some system cleanup. Get a registy cleaner, I use CCleaner as it's free but if you already have one feel free to use it. CCleaner is at Download, install, and run it...

After it's done reboot again and after rebooting reinstall ACT.
Once reinstalled put the backed up copies of your databases back where they were before.

Try the export feature again!
I hope this fixes your issue!