JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant
Experience:  Computer user since '79 - Worked for ISPs, ASPs and dot.coms. Pro Photographer since '02
3324609

How do I get rid of the annoying ad serve ads that keep popping

Customer Question

I keep receving ads from ad serve, and a lot of them contain nudity. How do I rid my computer of ad serve?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matthew A. replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

There are a couple of things you can do to remove ads. For IE, there is a plugin that claims to remove most ads called Ad Muncher. I have not used this extensively, so I can't vouch much for it's functionality. Furthermore, it is not free - there is a 30-day trial after which you must buy it.

If you're willing to try another browser, you might consider switching to Firefox. It has a free plugin that removes almost all ads you will encounter on a regular basis. Assuming you do go for this option, here are a couple of plugins you should install to remove ads:

- Adblock Plus
- Adblock Filterset.G Updater

If you're dead-set on staying with IE and Ad Muncher does not help with your ad problem, I'll gladly open this question up to other experts who may have some further information for IE-based ad blockers.
Expert:  JC Dill replied 6 years ago.

My experience with cleaning up this type of problem is that when you get nudity-containing ads and are not on an adult themed website, the most common cause of this is a trojan horse or virus program. If so, ad blocking software may be ineffective at solving the problem. Further, these trojan and virus programs can be doing other bad things, such as using your computer to send spam, etc.

If you recently installed any browser helpers, toolbars, etc., before this problem started the newly installed "helper" is probably causing these ads. If so, first uninstall the helper software, toolbar, etc.

Then run a virus scan with software that also detects trojan programs, malicious toolbars, etc. Download and run these 3 programs:

Spybot Search & Destroy
AdAware
CCleaner

When you first run these programs, they will update with the latest virus definitions.

If this problem persists after running these programs, restart your computer in SAFE MODE and run the programs again. The reason for this is many virus programs launch at startup, and also launch a hidden program that checks to see if the virus program has been removed, and if so the hidden program reinstalls the virus! By starting in safe mode you keep the virus AND the helper program from starting, and the software can remove them both. But you need to have the latest virus definitions, which is why you run these programs in regular mode (connected to the internet) first.

jc