Peter, Consultant
Experience:  B.InfoSci, Media Production Co. CEO, 21 years in IT business PC/Mac/Unix HTML/CSS PHP/Databases

How do I back date my computer to recover progams lost ...

How do I back date my computer to recover progams lost on my when it crached and needed to be formatted?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Peter replied 8 years ago.
Hi castang66,

Formatting the hard drive on a computer removes all of the data and programs. This means that it is usually not possible to recover information that was previously on the hard drive unless you had a backup on some other media.

If you have added new data to the drive since formatting this would write over the top of where the old data was and make recovery virtually impossible.

You will need to reinstall your programs from the original source - discs or download them again and install them again. You will need to recreate your data again from any backup.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I underdstand this, however I thought that there was someway that I could backdate my computer so it remembers the setups and program from that time, nothing after that.
Expert:  Peter replied 8 years ago.
Hi castang66,

If you are using Windows, there is a restore feature that will keep your data intact but take your programs and settings back to a restore point. This will not go back past when you formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows though.

Use Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore to start the restore program.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This will not fix the problem, evidently I recieved some infected e-mail that forces my computer to restart over and over. I did get that problem fixed however in the interm all the program and files I had saved on my computer are gone. I thought if I could somehow get back to a date before the infection I could restore from that point. The programs on my computer were on the computer when I bought them from staples a few years ago so I do not have the word disc or excel. I hate computers when they break I find them so frustrating! I am an educator with little time to 'play' with my tools! Thanks anyway!
Expert:  Peter replied 8 years ago.
Hi castang66

Some computer manufacturers include the original software on a partition of the hard drive. This may be hidden so you don't normally use it and you would need to use a special recovery disc or option in the computer BIOS to reload the factory settings. Check the documentation that came with your computer or contact the supplier to see if this is the case for your computer.