John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

All data files on my computer have been changed to a Adobe ...

All data files on my computer have been changed to a Adobe format. I cannot open them unless they are in their original .jlb format. How can I correct this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Could you clarify your situation a little more.

Are you saying that your data files such as .doc, .txt have been changed to .pdf format? And what are the jlb files?

Also when did this problem start?, Was it after you reinstalled/updated windows or major software?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The .jlb files are created by a specialized charity accouting backup system. While working with Adobe all my files changed. I now have hundreds of backup files I cannot restore.
I need the .jlb extension in order to send database files to another computer or to e-mail.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

So your jlb files have now become adobe pdf files? In other words when you double click a jlb file now it launches adobe reader.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I try to restore a backup to the JEWEL program that created it the system can no longer read it. All icons on the backup files have changed to Adobe .pdf format.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

I see.

Ok, close all applications, then right click on one of the jlb files and select Open With. then point to Choose Program. In the box that opens look for the program that is supposed to open the .jlb files (JEWEL?). If it is not listed, click on the Browse button and navigate to where the program is located. Select it, then check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Click OK.

This should re "associate" the jlb files with their original application.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are still any problems.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried your suggestion no no avail. These files must be restored to the JEWEL program by a function of the JEWEL software. I find I can open them on my primary computer but when transferring to another the JEWEL program does not recognize the file. It was suggested that I use REGISTRY SMART so I downloaded it but that did not work either. Is there any way I can reverse the conversion using Adobe?
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Yes there is a way, and it depends on how long ago the problem started (one of the questions that I asked in my first post). If it hasn't been too long, system restore may be able to roll back your system to a previous state. Have you tried system restore?

If not and if you need help with system restore let me know.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant