Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, specializing in Programming and Windows questions
3546829

How do I change a 3.2MB photo to a KB photo for uploading purposes

Customer Question

I am uploading pictures to myspace. It takes max.600K to upload and many of my pictures are 2 and 3MB. Is there a way to change my MB pictures to KB so I can upload them?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Welcome!

What operating system do you use?

Thanks,

Scott

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Oh, I see you added that info after you first posted.

Here is a great, free, tool for you to use:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

It's called the image resizer. After you download and install it, it will add a new option when you right click on an image. It will say "Resize Pictures". You can then choose any size you want.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Scott

Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience: MIT Graduate, specializing in Programming and Windows questions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you...I'll try it!
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Great, please let me know if you have any questions once you try it.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott..the information on the link you provided worked great! I'm able to resize and upload many of the photos I want..I have another question about photos. I have a picture in TIF and I resized it but myspace won't upload it because it says the type isn't compatable. The types myspace require are: PNG,JPG,TIFF,BMP,GIF. Why won't it take my TIF upload? Isn't it the same as TIFF? and...can I change the "type" of photo (example) from TIF to JPG? Sincerely, Cindy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Scott..this is an add on from previous question: a different expert gave me a link to a place called, IRFANVIEW.com but I looked at it and it didn't look to be "layman" friendly. Do you recommend it or something else? I like keeping it simple. Thanks, Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

About the TIF's... they *should* be the same, however there are a few different types of TIF files out there. Some may not be compatible with Myspace.

In my opinion, the best way to convert images is using Windows Paint, which is built into your computer. Go to Start - Programs - Accessories and choose Paint. You should be able to open many types of image files (including TIF), and then you can choose "Save As" to save it as any file type you want. -- choose File - Save As, and then change the "Save as type" field to the type of file you want.

Does that work for you?

-Scott

Scott, MIT Graduate
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This seems like something I can handle Scott and I like the fact that it's already on my computer! I'll accept this answer now and later, after I've tried it, if things work out the way I hope they will from your instructions, I'll pop in a bonus for you! You've been a great help to me so far. That's why I came back to you! Thanks, Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Thanks! Please do let me know if you have any more questions on this subject.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Scott...it worked like a charm and simple too!!! Thanks you..you're my computer guru! Your bonus is on it's way!!!Thanks, Cindy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott...I am trying to send a video attachment on an email..I use gmail and comcast.net...I am getting failure to deliver saying they were to large. I've made .zip files but they still won't deliver. Is there an easy way to get my 22mb videos(zipped to 19mb) to go through on email attachments? or compress them even more? Thanks, Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Welcome back, Cindy!

Here's what I'd recommend... upload the video to a free file sharing website, such as http://www.mediafire.com/. Once you upload the video, mediafire will provide you with a web link that you can email, instead of sending the attachment. That way, the size of the email will be very tiny, because the file itself will be stored on the file sharing site. (If you compress the video further, it will lose a whole lot of quality.)

Let me know if that will work for you... or if you really have to send it by email.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, MIT Graduate
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: This looks like a good option for me Scott. But, I am still interested in sending them through email attachments also. Can you explain further??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott..I tried the Mediafire.com site and on my end it was very easy to use. Thank You! I'm waiting to hear back from relatives to see if the pictures went through and if it was as user friendly as it was sending them...Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Glad to hear that the mediafire site was easy to use...

Here is a different option that will allow you to split the file into a few pieces. Since your email has a limit on the size of an attachment, this can let you send a few emails, each containing a part of the file:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ (download link: http://www.freebytesoftware.com/download/hjsplit.zip)

By the way, the people you are sending the files to will need to download this program to rejoin the pieces.

Let me know what you think of that option,

Scott

Scott, MIT Graduate
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe this option would work if I had a very long video to send and maybe someday I'll use it but for now I think mediafire.com is more in line with my "need for use". Thank you so much for helping Scott. Once again you have answered my questions!! It's worth every dollar!!! I will return another day! Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Great! Glad to help Smile

Thanks for the bonuses,

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott...I need your help again and have a new question for you. I have a nikon coolpix L6 digital camera and I took video of our band and downloaded it to my computer and then made a DVD using Sonic dvd burner program. I want to upload the dvd video to our band myspace page but myspace says it doesn't recognize the format...they say I have to use one of 22 formats..to name a few: .avi, .asf, .wmv, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4 ...can you tell me what I need to do? How to do it? ...and please keep it simple. I think I have to convert it but get confused because of the multitude of options. I have a Dell computer-8400 Demension...Windows XP. Can you help? Sincerely, Cindy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for writing to me...

I'm actually on the road traveling. If you don't mind, could you post this again in a new thread for the other experts, since I don't have much time until the end of next week.

Thanks,

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott...I'll wait until you get back from your travels because I'm not getting satifactory answers from another expert. For clarification I'll try to explain what I want to do again. I made a 55 min. video of my band playing live using my nikon coolpix L6 digital camera. Then, I used a Sonic Record Now Program that was part of the Dell package installs on my computer to make a DVD. The program allows you to create a DVD from home movies and or pictures. I took my 55 min. video and proceded to edit a 3 1/2min. DVD of one song. It worked great and then I wanted to upload it to our bands myspace page only when I tried it, it said it didn't recognize the format. Myspace said it had to be one of some 22 formats. For example: .avi, .asf, .wmv, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4 to name just a few. When I look at the original 55 min. video (straight from the camera it's a .mov format) but I cannot figure out what format the new 3 1/2min DVD clip I made using sonic is. I've looked through their help section and their tutorial and cannot find it anywhere. I want to take the 3 1/2min dvd and change it to a format that myspace will accept so I can get live music on our page. I've looked through help formums for several days now and have not seen a dulplicate senario. You've been very helpful in the past and I ask for your help again. Can you help me? I'll be more than happy to wait for the answer so don't worry about the time frame. I just ask it to be as simple and understandable as possible...thanks you so much and I'll check back next week sometime. Sincerely, Cindy      

PS: I still have the original 55 min. video on my computer if you know of another way to clip/edit one song out of the whole video in a format that myspace will accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Scott...I know you must be very busy but have you had a chance to mull over my problem??Customer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's now been 23 days since I've heard from you Scott. Should I assume this question is one you'd rather not answer and I should seek help elsewhere?? Customer
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

I'm terribly sorry... if you don't mind, can you post this question for all the experts?

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do...don't worry...you're still one of my favorite experts! I'll return another day..when I have another question!Customer