John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

How can I make my window fill the whole screen without ...

Customer Question

How can I make my window fill the whole screen without clicking the sqare box.
Category: Computer
Expert:  JC Dill replied 6 years ago.

Clicking the square box "maximizes" the window to the maximum size of your screen. You can also resize the window by positioning it to the top left side of the screen, and then click and drag on the bottom right corner to extend it to the bottom right side of the screen.

Not all windows can be resized this way, but most can.

I can help more if you can tell me what application (what program) you are using, that you want to enlarge the window.

jc
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to JC Dill's Post: I don't know what you mean by program I'm using. Anything on my screen has to be resized and I didn't really understand what you meant by draging at the top and bottom. Seems clicking the square would be easier than that. I do not want to have to click the square much less drag top and bottom
Expert:  JC Dill replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

In your initial question you didn't say you wanted an easier way to maximize the windows. Now that I know that this is what you want, I can tell you that there is no way to have every program automatically resize the windows to fill your screen. However, once you open a program, maximize the window, and then close the program, when you open the program again it should remember the window state and open the new windows maximized automatically in the future.

Your computer is a box of metal - without an Operating System (OS) and programs it doesn't do anything. The OS is a special program, such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux, or Mac OS X that organizes all the components of the computer so you can access them - so you can write files to the hard drive, so you can send information out over the internet ports, so you can send files to your printer, etc.

Within the OS there are other programs (applications) that do specific tasks. Internet Explorer (IE) is a brower, you use this to access web pages on the internet. (You are probably using IE right now to read this page.) Outlook and Outlook Express are programs to read and reply to email. Microsoft Office is a "suite" of programs to do basic office tasks - Word is for reading and writing text documents, Excel is for spreadsheets, Powerpoint is for presentations. Adobe makes programs for editing images (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements). Apple's iTunes is a program for organizing and playing songs. Etc.

At the very top of the window is a title bar - the box to maximize the window is on the right. The center of the title bar often tells you what program you are using, and what page or document or file you are working on in that program. You can also find out what program you are using by clicking on the Help link in the menu bar (just below the title bar).

I hope this helps you understand what programs are.

As I said before, you need to maximize the window (click on the box) and then CLOSE the program, for the program to "save" the window state. Then reopen the program (click on the program icon, such as the blue "e" for Internet Explorer), and it should automatically reopen in the maximized state it was in before you closed it.

jc

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to be so uninformed. This is Windows XP. I have had no formal computer training and it sure shows sometimes.
Expert:  JC Dill replied 6 years ago.
No problem, everyone starts out at the beginning! I'm happy to explain in more detail if there is anything else you need.

I'm leaving now for lunch - I'll be back in about 1.5 hours.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I really hate to be this way but my problem was not solved. I wanted my windwo to fill the screen w;ithout having to maximize every time and I still have to do it that way. Very sorry but I can't justify paying 9.00 for something I did not get even though I appreciate all the conversation.
Expert:  Sean Juan replied 6 years ago.
If you know which application you want to open maximized, you can do this:

• Right click on the program's shortcut and select properties
  • Next to "RUN", there is a drop down box. Select "MAXIMIXED"
  • Click OK
Now doubleclick the application's shotcut and it should run as maximized.
However, some applications will override this option.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried that and it didn't work either.
Expert:  Sean Juan replied 6 years ago.
What application(s) do you want to be automatically maximized?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My email window and all web sites.
Expert:  Sean Juan replied 6 years ago.
What do you use for email? What browser do you use?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I never clicked the accept buttom. Why is my card charged?
Expert:  JC Dill replied 6 years ago.
Your card is charged when you place a deposit with JustAnswer. The deposit remains with JustAnswer until you Accept an answer (at which time the Expert assisting you gets paid) or you request a refund from JustAnswer.

Sean Jean and I have tried our best to assist you. We can keep trying, but in order to help you, you need to help us. We need you to provide more details about what programs you use, and what happens when you try something.

I gave you an overview of how the computer works, and what programs do what functions. Sean Jean asked you what programs you use for email and for web sites. I told you "You can also find out what program you are using by clicking on the Help link in the menu bar (just below the title bar)."

We NEED an answer to Sean Jean's question (what programs you use for email and web sites) to be able to assist you further. If you don't want any more help, you can contact JustAnswer and request that the admins close this question and refund your deposit.

jc

Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

JC asked me to assist you.

The easiest and most proper method to accomplish this has been already been suggested earlier in this thread but it appears that you either missed it or did not do it correctly.

Here are the step by step instructions:

- Close all windows and applications.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the right edge of IE window and drag it to the right edge of the screen
- Do the same with the other three edges
- IE Window should now cover the entire screen.
- From the menu click File > Exit.

Now open IE again and tell me what happens.

Hope this helps.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I realize that internet explorer fills my screen but I use aol for email and the web and that is the problem.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.
That's OK, but first tell me if the procedure I gave you worked in the manner you wanted it for IE.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Fine. Now all you have to do is apply the same procedure to AOL browser, namely:

- Close all windows and applications.
- Open AOL
- Click on the right edge of AOL window and drag it to the right edge of the screen
- AOL window should now cover the entire screen.
- From the menu click File > Exit.

Restart AOL and it should work for AOL as well.

Hope this helps, If you found this helpful don't forget to click the green ACCEPT button next to my answer. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cant find the menu and file on aol.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

That ok, just Exit AOL the way you normally do, or close AOL window using the X at the upper right corner. That should save its windows setting.

Let me know.