John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

When exiting excel closes without asking me to save my ...

When exiting excel closes without asking me to save my document.   How do I fix that?

The way it works is that the Save prompt only comes up when you have made changes in the document. This is a standard feature in most windows applications.

Try opening an excel sheet, then enter anything in a cell, and then try to close it. You will be prompted to save.

There is however a 'Save Auto Recover info' option under Tools > Options > Save tab, When checked it will automatically save a temp copy of the file at certain intervals in case of a crash. But this has nothing to do with the regular Save prompt.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John D's Post: That is not how this is working. Changes are made and saved on exit even if they are not wanted. What I need is for excel to ask whether to save on exit.

Not sure what you mean by 'saved if they are not wanted'.

Again unless you have some corruption in program files or the registry, after saving a file, if no subsequent changes are made and you try to exit the program you will not be prompted to save.

This feature cannot be changed.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John D's Post: I feel I am not being clear. What we want is to be asked on exit if we wish to save the worksheet. There are times when it is decided not to keep changes made to the worksheet. At those times we would not accept the changes.

Right now all changes are forced upon the user, whether she wants them or not. Sometimes she does not want them.

Okay, follow these steps and tell me what happens?

1- Start Excel from Start > All Programs > Microsoft Excel
2- Type 'abc' in cell A1
3- Click File > Exit

What happens?

4- Click File > Save As , give it a name and a location, then click the Save button.
5- Click File > Exit

What happens now?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The first time excel forces a save to give the file a name before exiting.

The second time, after the file is already named, the file is saved without saying, the file has not been saved and giving the option to save.

We want excel to always ask whether to save or not as we exit.

Thank again.

This is the way it is supposed to work by design.

You see if there are no changes made to the document, there is no reason to ask, or to save it again. It is already saved in that same form. So IT WILL NOT ASK YOU to save it.

But if changes have been made since you last saved it or since you opened the file, IT WILL ASK you if you want to save the file.

That's the way the program works and that cannot be changed.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I understand that. I want it to ask, after changes, before saving the file, in case we do not want the changes.

I want excel to ask, "do you want to save the changes you made to file_name.xls" When I choose to exit and have not saved yet.
Customer if excel does not ask you to save after you have made changes to the document, then you must have some corrupted program files or registry entries related to this program.

Does this same problem happen in 1) Word, and 2) Notepad?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, just excel. I will attempt a repair of excel via add/remove programs.

Okay in that case try first to use the excel's repair option. Open Excel then click on Help > Detect and Repair.