Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder

all of a sudden, our dvd player wont turn on--the ...

all of a sudden, our dvd player won't turn on--the best it can do is flash the little red light, but we can't even open the dvd slot. and there's a dvd in there that we need to return. we've changed batteries on the remote; checked the plugs and connections. where do we go from here?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is the Make and Model of your DVD player?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Rita's Post: our dvd player is a phillips==model no.? pls. don't tell me i have to contort myself to find it! we've replaced the batteries on the remote and checked the plugs--they look ok. sometimes the red light FLASHES and when it does, often the tv screen flashes as well--as though the dvd player is TRYING to come on!

Ok i will try to not have you find the model # XXXXX was hoping it was listed on the front, if you click on the link below does any of these look like your dvd player.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the closest i could find it r3380/05.
lets try this unplug the unit wait 30 seconds and then plug in the power cord again and try hitting the eject button immediatly and hold it in for 5 seconds and see if you receive any response
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it didn't work...i have a feeling that the solution is simple! let's keep trying...

Ok do any lights flash at all are any error codes appearing on screen of dvd player?

Has this unit been giving you any issues in the past several weeks?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, the red light flashes when i try to turn the dvd player on. no error codes, so far. no other issues.

Ok unfortunatly it sounds like the power distributor within the dvd player may be going bad, the only way to verify this is to take it into a local repair shop where they can test the components within the unit, plus they will be able to successfully remove the dvd disc from within the unit without furthur damaging any components within the unit.

Sorry i could not be of furthur assistance with this,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Rita's Post: ok. i'll take it to best buy so they can get the dvd out for me, but i think, rather than having it repaired, i'll buy a new dvd player. do you agree?

Honestly with the DVD players being so reasonable in cost nowadays i agree it is more practicle to just replace the unit as the cost to repair would easily be approximatly the same as the cost to replace.