Matthew A.
Matthew A., Freelance computer repair/support.
Experience:  10+ years experience with computers and computer hardware/software.

My Dell monitor is locked up. All controlls show

Customer Question

My Dell monitor is locked up. All controlls show a picture of a lock. I was trying t improve the picture which is washed out and dull and somehow got it locked up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matthew A. replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Before we can help you, it would help us to know the model number of the monitor you are using.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Matthew A.'s Post: Hi Matthew,
I'm using a Dell model E171FPB, 17" Flat screen monitor. Hope you can help.
Ok, in reading through the documentation it looks to me like you can diable any lock on the controls by holding the menu button for more than 15 seconds. At this point, all menu items should be available to you. You can also disable the lock by pressing the (-) button while "OSD Lock" is selected.

As a side note, I also read that the "Auto adjust" is the recommended setting, and it should produce the best results in image quality. From my own experience this is not always true, but the auto-adjusted values are usually a good starting point.

Finally, here is a link to the full online documentation for your monitor, and here is a link to the page that has information about disengaging the lock (it's toward the bottom - do a search for OSD Lock). Hopfully with this information you can set the display the way you want it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX set now.