Rita
Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
5454344

How do I enable the WLAN on my HP Laptop computer

I am unable to enable the WLAN on my HP Laptop
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rita replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?
-What is the Model # XXXXX your laptop?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is Windows XP. The laptop is a Pavilion dv2050us.

I have gone through the control panel settings
Expert:  Rita replied 6 years ago.

• Double click the Bluetooth icon on the task bar.
  • If you have not configured the Bluetooth connection settings, the Initial Bluetooth Configuration Wizard will appear. Click Next .
  • Your computer name and the type of computer (Laptop) will be displayed. Click Next and then click Next again on the next screen.
  • On the Bluetooth Service Selection window, place check marks in the boxes for Network Access
  • This individual service can be further configured by clicking to highlight the service and then clicking Configure . When configured, click Next .
  • Windows will detect and install the Bluetooth hardware and drivers. If there is another device you are connecting to the PC using the Bluetooth network, click Next .
  • The wizard will search for a signal from any Bluetooth device within range of the PC. If there is not another device that you are connecting at this time, click Skip and then Finish .
  • Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Rita.

Rita, Network Administrator
    Experience: Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    My computer has wireless capability and a switch that allows me to turn it on and off. In addation, it says it is disabled. My question is where is it disabled suddenly and how do I enable it?
    Expert:  Rita replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I apologize i misunderstood your original question.

If you look down by your clock do you see a picture of a little computer (this is your wireless connection) if so right click on it and click on show available wireless networks. Does it show any available networks?

Are there any other computers close by that can connect to the internet over wireless connection? So we can see if it is just your machine or if this is an issue with the wireless router?

Rita

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    The problem lies in the fact that my computer says the wlan is disabled and so it is not operating to access or allow me to turn the access on or off.
    Expert:  Rita replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

When was the last time this was working correctly it is possibly the driver or a system file became corrupted.

Did you recently do any updates from Microsoft or add any new software on to this computer?

I am trying to narrow down what is causing this to have become disabled.

Rita

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Worked properly two days ago. No new updates or software that I know of.
    Expert:  Rita replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Lets try doing a system restore by following the steps below, you will not lose any files or data by doing this. It will just restore all the configuration files back to a previous state.

1.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.

On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3.

On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to

4.

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5.

Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6.

The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

Now lets see if your wireless is working again.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Rita