B. Shap
B. Shap, Consultant
Experience:  17 years experiance as Administrator / Private consultant.
763586

How can I tell if someone is spying on my computer

Customer Question

I have a linksys wireless router and recently there have been alot of other networks in the area. My computer has been really slow responding and acting very erratically since these have shown up. I have an unsecured network, because I can't figure out how to set it up for a secured network. Even so, if someone wanted with to, they could spy on me anyway.
I have windows firewall installed and use semantic spyware, but I don't at all feel confident. I read somewhere to try this command "netstat -a -b" but it runs and then closes by itself so I'm not sure what to look for.
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Shap replied 6 years ago.

Could you please let me know the model number of the router and the type of connection that you have. aka: Cable, DSL, FIOS, Sattelite ect.

I would also need the typt of operating system you have aka: Wndows XP, Vista, ect.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have windows xp home edition.
The router is wrt54gx2 version 2.
It's the srx200 and I have an srx400 notebook adapter, although I can't set up the notebook to use the srx400.

The connection is DSL broadcom from frontiernet.
Expert:  B. Shap replied 6 years ago.

Please goto start run and type cmd then hit enter

Then type in the command ipconfig / all

you should get a whole list of numbers in that list there should be a place where it says default gateway. Could you please tell me that number.. I want you to log into your router so we can set up some firewall and access controls.

I have to step out for a little while...not even an hour.. I need to get some dinner for my kids. They are coming for dinner tonight. I though we might be able to get on the phone later if thats OK with you and get this set up for you. We could also do it through Private messages if you like I just think the phone would be fastest. We will need that IP address though...If you have trouble getting it we can try when I get back.

I can also reccomend a basic scan of your systerm to see if there are ways to get into you system from the outside so we can get to those one at a time also. Try running this test to see if your system is blocked and or what ports are open or accesible.

We can try to get to those later on. Thanks

B. Shap, Consultant
Experience: 17 years experiance as Administrator / Private consultant.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Sorry for the interruption. I had a family crisis come up.

If you are barbshap, then you will know what this means.

It turns out that I have a Trojan virus on my computer. The virus name was ldpinch Trojan. Webroot sypsweeper detected and quarantined it yesterday (after I ran sypsweeper).

I don’t know when it was downloaded or if it was activated. Apparently it activates and communicates thru email.

As soon as I put the question on justanswer.com, “I think someone is spying on my computer”, the wireless network that I has been suspicious of disappeared from view. Then yesterday, almost 24 hours later, the suspicious wireless network show up again. I don't know if it's coincidence, or not.

I looked in the registry files and couldn’t find any modifications. I'm told the ldpinch Trojan virus addes this to the registery file "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]"
    putil = %windir%\%file name% and then deletes the old file. But I couldn't find the "putil = %windir%\%file name%" so I don't know if the trojan was actually activated. I'm hoping you can tell me more about it.

I know it’s a password XXXXX so I don’t know what to do about it. I do all my banking and my website passwords from this computer. It could be disastrous!

I do still need to set up an encrypted and secured network, although it won’t help me with what may have happened.

Let me know.
Expert:  B. Shap replied 6 years ago.

I hope all is well with the family. Seems a crisis is only a ( here comes another.one now) second away most of the time.

Again I a little Info would help bur first lets get rid of that nasty little Trojan bug...

Here is a link to S.A.R.C. There are precise directions on how to remove that little nasty virus from you system. Any and all traces. If it was activated or not this should help.

The files that spysweeper found, did you quarantine them or delete them. Either way just obey webroots advice for now.They do a pretty good job on home PCs.

After you take care of this then lets work on getting you system and home network secure. By the way, did you run that test at the website link I gave you? That will give us a good start at knowing where we stand as far as internet security goes.

Again I hope this helps and keep in touch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi. The file that sypsweeper found, I did quaranteen it (them) and deleted them. But then I kept getting a pop3 error receiving and sending emails. So, I restored my system to (2) weeks prior and my outlook email worked again. Unfortunatley, the Trojan virus was back. I read this might happen. I did find the S.A.R.C. website on friday night (thru a google search). I've disabled my resore option, then ran spysweeper again and deleted as recommended. I am now running norton anti, just to make sure all is gone. Then, I will turn the restore option back on before I do anything else if all goes well.

In retrospect, I remember getting, probably 6 different spysweeper messages in the last 2 weeks or so that an email attachment couldn't be verified and there may be a threat. Because I've never had anykind of virus before, I dismissed it. I know, how stupid could I be. Well, trust me, that scenerio will never happen again now that I know. I've also changed my passwords, from a computer not linked to this wireless system.

My static IP address is 168.192.1.100

The security metrics tests all came back with a "stealth" status.

Since it's about 12:30am your time, I will hope to hear from you again on sunday, or monday if you're not available. I just need to be sure that the information I email you is safe, since I don't actually know you or can verify your qualifications.

My email address is: (edited for privacy) Once I feel comfortable with corresponding with you personally, I will give you my home personal email address. I do still need to set up a secured home wireless network.

Thank you for all the information so far.
Steve.
Expert:  B. Shap replied 6 years ago.

I wanted to thank you for the Accept

Get in touch if and when you need to get that wireless security set up