Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

I CANNOT ACTIVATE THE EXTERNAL VIDEO PORT ON MY DELL ...

I CANNOT ACTIVATE THE EXTERNAL VIDEO PORT ON MY DELL LAPTOP FOR USE OF A VIDEO PROJECTOR

Hi Greg,

If you are using the blue VGA port then try shutting down the machine, Ower on the projector and set it to VGA input and boot the laptop.

Then see if you get a response as the machine boots.

Once you are all the way into windows then go to your display settings under ctrl anel and se if the projector shows in advaned.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Eric,
I have it working now just by turning it on. I must not have reboote yesterday when trying to figure it out. I NOW HAVE MY VIDEO ON THE PROJECTOR BUT NOT THE LAPTOP. IS THERE A WAY TO GET BOTH.

Ok,

First click the FN+F2 3 or 4 pausing for 3-5 seconds between presses, I am not sure which one it is on your Dell, Just look forthe key with a picture of two monitors with a / in between.

Then go to the advanced settings under display and see if both monitors show if they do then decide if you wish to extend your desktop so you have dual monitor setup or leave alone and set it to duplicate so you get the same view on both monitors.

Let me know what happens and also your model number so I can get you the correct kwy combination.

Regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: DELL / INSPIRON 1000. I WENT TO CONTROL PANEL/DISPLAY/SETTINGS/ADVANCED TAB. I DID NOT SEE AN OPTION TO HAVE DUAL SCREEN.

ALSO MY PROJECTOR ADVANCING KEYS ARE NOT WORKING. IT IS NOT ADVANCING THE POWERPOINT SCREENS. I HAVE TO USE THE LAPTOP KEYS. IS THEIR A SETTING FOR THIS

Ok,

Give me the model of projector.

Did you get the dual display to work with the FN+ F3 key?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: INFOCUS W240, I AM ABLE TO ADD MAY DESK TOP TO THE PROJECTOR BUT WHEN I DO THIS MY LAP TOP DOES NOT WORK I GET JUST MY DISPLY SCREEN AND ICONS THAT DO NOT WORK. I AM GETTING ONE OR THE OTHER TO WORK NOT BOTH. THE FN + F3 KEY DID NOT WORK. MY ADVANCE KEYS ON THE PROJECTOR STILL ARE INOP.

Ok,

So let me get this straight, You can use one display or the other not both at the same time.

Does everything else work on the laptop when you use the external projector?

Let me know

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: I HAVE MY POWER POINT UP AND RUNNING ON MY PROJECTOR AND IT WORKS, I HAVE TO USE THE LAPTOP KEYS TO ADVANCE SCREENS THOUGH. MY LAPTOP HAS MY BACKGROUND AND SHORTCUT.

I AM ABLE TO PICK WHICH DISPLAY FROM THE SETTINGS. SO I CAN CHOOSE LAPTOP (1) OR EXTERNAL VIDEO(2) BUT NOT BOTH.

TO DO THIS I HAVE TO GO TO DISPALY SETTINGS RATHER THAN SORTCUT KEYS SUCH AS FN+F3

WHAT I WOULD LIKE IS THE LAPTOP AND PROJECTOR TO DISPALY THE SAME THING.

AND MY ADVANCE KEYS ON PROJECTOR NEED TO WORK.

Ok,

Well I made a mistake it is meant to be FN+F8 (I called one of my techs who has a Dell)

Try that and I will let you know about the control keys on the Projector.

When you installed the projector and its drivers did you also connect the USB cable?

Did windows recognise it as an input device?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THERE IS NO USB CABLE AND THE CD WAS ONLY A PRODUCT REGISTRATION AND REFERANCE GUIDE,IT DID NOT ASK FOR A DOWNLOAD. tHE USERS GUIDE DOES NOT INSTRUCT FOR THESE ITEMS.

INFO ON PROJECTOR: WWW.INFOCUS.COM/SUPPORT/HOWTO

Ok,

There should have been a usb connector from the projector to the Laptop so that it can control the page up/down keys.

What is the precise model number of the projector, Is it the LP240? http://www.infocus.com/Support/Products/Projectors/LP240.aspx

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
MODEL = IN24

I FOUND ON THE INFOCUS HELP THAT THIS IS AN OPTIONAL ACCESSORY. ITS A COMBO VGA/USB CABLE. THAT ENABLES THE ADVANCE KEYS ON PROJECTOR AND HANDHELD REMOTE.

HERE IS THE GUIDE:
http://www.infocus.com/upload/library/how_to_guide/computers/infocus_pclaptop_how_toguide_computers_en.pdf

pAGE 6 OF THE GUIDE SAYS I NEED TO ENABLE CLONE OR MIRROR MODE OF DESK TOP?

Ok,

What operating system and service pack do you have?

So you have to purchase the cable for your keys to work?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
WINDOWS XP

IM SURE I WILL NEED THE CABLE FOR KEYS TO WORK SO IM GOOD ON THAT.

JUST WANT TO GET THE MIRROR IMAGE ON LAPTOP AND PROJECTOR

Ok,

So cycling with the FN+F8 does nothing?

Disconnect the projector and reboot your laptop then connect the projector.

Go to displays then advanced and see if two monitors show in the advanced tab, If they do then select clone.

If not thell me what version of graphics driver you are using.

Thanks