Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...

Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
283538

I [accidentally]disabled the monitor on my ...

I [accidentally]disabled the monitor on my gateway laptop, how can I enable it again [I have no screen to view the mouse and enable it back again]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer,

There should be a shortcut by holding down the Fn Key and pressing F3,F5 or F8 I believe.

If you look on yur function keys it should show a picture of a monitor or two monitors with a slash between.

You mah have to press the key combination wait 5 seconds and do it again s it cycles between Internal monitor,Internal and external, External Only and off.

Hope this helps

Let us know if we can be of more assistance.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Eric,

I forgot to tell that I have done this, and now again with no luck.

What I did was; left clicked "properties" on desktop, clicked on "settings" then "advanced" the "monitor" then "properties there" and at the bottom there is an option to: XXXXX XXXXX device, do not use this device, and I opted for not use as I was trying to hook up an external monitor.

Since I do not have access to the visible monitor I now turn off the computer by pushing the off button, when turning it on again, the monitor is visible while booting up the Windows XP image but as soon as it goes to the "log in" area the monitor goes blank.

By the way this is a laptop.

Kind regards,
Ulla
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

In that case turn the machine on and tap the F8 till you can choose Safe Mode.

Then highlight Safe Mode with the cursors and hit enter to select.

Login then set your Graphics to default and reboot,Then set them back to the desired resolution.

Let me know if that works

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: No luck,

Safemode just pulls up a screen with somewhat repetitive text like: "multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers.etc
It does not go beyond this page and I even tried the
Enable VGA option available under f8, did not work either.

Ulla
Expert:  Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert replied 9 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

I see Eric is off line, do you have the XP disk?

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,
Ok we can take a look at this,

Ok, I was waiting to see if you had your XP Disk, but you went offline, I would suggest that you try a repair

We will see if it will repair, run the following, after finishing if you upgraded your Sp2, you will need to re-update.

Please do is the following:
Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.
The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to repair the selected Windows XP installation. To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time.
***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

Experience: One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L...JA's 's Post: No I do not have the xp disc where I am now.
It is so funny, it boots up just fine, I can even here the computer downloading my emails on the task bar, but I can't see a thing :)
The monitor works fine and show the XP load image but goes blank as soon as it goes to the log in screen mode.

Anyway, if you by chance come up with anything else that might shed light on the situation, I sure appreciate it.

All the best,
Ulla

Thanks for the Accept.

Lets try a test, do you have another monitor, What I want you to do is connect it to the back of your laptop, then reboot and shut your laptop lid, lets see if it works to the external monitor.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No luck, will have to find someone with XP disc

Thanks though
ok, good luck, let me know if you need more help