John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

whenI delete files off my desktop they reappear. Why

I use Windows XP
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

That is probably because the program that created the files is still active and keeps recreating them.

If you can you tell us the name and extension of these files, may be we can identify the program they belong to.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
They are Word files from Mircosoft Office 2003, but that program is not on the computer. I put the replicating files on that computer via removable media i.e. CD. Microsoft 2007 is what is on the machine at this time.
Incidentally, I can't get Mircosoft 2007 to uninstall either.
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

First let's try to get rid of these files, then we look into the uninstallation problem.

Remove that disc from the drive and reboot your computer. As it starts rebooting tap on the F8 key to get to the Windows Advanced options screen. Next select Safe Mode from the menu. When windows starts, login to that account and try deleting the files from there. Now reboot normally and let me know if they come back.

Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.

Now to uninstall word, I want to make sure first that you have tried to do it the right way, and that is by using Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel, then look for Microsoft Office and click the Change/Remove button.

If that is what you have tried but still cannot uninstall it, click on the link below and download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Run it and then choose Microsoft Office to remove it from the list.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Hope this helps.