james
james, Programmer
Experience:  B.A. Computer Science
5375758

My DSL goes out when it rains

Hi, My DSL won't sync up when it rains and sometimes if there are just storms in the area, not necessarily at my house. I've called the tech support. They ran some tests (was not raining at the time though) and they came to the house and said the lines tested fine. I'm not stupid. I know it has something to do with the lines somewhere, but how do I get them to address this issue. I rarely, if ever, have a problem with my service unless it is raining. What are your thoughts and advice for recourse? I have Bellsouth 3.0 MB service, Westell 6100 modem, and filters installed on the line in the house. Should I lie and tell them my phone line has static or something? Maybe they would care more. Thanks for your input.

Hey Josh,

This is a very true question. Over 90 % of failed internet connections ran thru dsl or cable modem fail at some point during a thunderstorm. Anytime you contact the ISP they will make you run tests ( most do a download test ran thru either telnet or dos )

Have they came out and taken a look at your lines at all? Do you have a digital package where you phone, internet and cable run theu the same box?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

They came out and did test the line on the side of the house. Said it was 3500 down, 379 up. But it wasn't raining at the time either, so I don't think the test would be "accurate" since my problem happens EVERY

Hey Josh,

No problem it sounds like a very famaliar problem with dsl connections. Here is a few online connection tests that are ran directly thru bellsouth.

Running a Line Quality Test or checking line rates (STH Test and Cayman Test) during heavy rains and comparing them to clear weather tests can help isolate water problems.

Hope this helps. Let me know what the results are.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

They came out and did test the line on the side of the house. Said it was 3500 down, 379 up. But it wasn't raining at the time either, so I don't think the test would be "accurate" since my problem happens EVERY time it rains. It will try to sync up, and sometimes does, then it is offline again. I only have DSL and regular phone service on this line. I think there is something getting wet somewhere down the line. Interference? It is not thunderstorms either, just gentle rain even.

Thanks,

Yes it definently sounds like some sort of interference. Whether or not it is on the lines running to your house or the main lines is a different story. If you would please run this Line Quality Test and let me know the results. This will tell me if its coming from your lines or the main lines.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I tried to run it, but it is for members only. I don't see where I can join up. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

Josh,

The link to join the website is below. I personally use this website because i to have dsl. They have 2 plans. 1 is a basic free plan and 1 is a 1 time fee plan of $10. I would suggest spending the $10. You can get alot of use out of this site now and in the future.

http://www.dslreports.com/join/new

However the problem is still something in the lines. I would call bellsouth and raise crap with them and demand they come out to fix the lines. Something isnt right and it can only be in the lines somewhere. the hardest part is finding where inthe line it is.

Hope this helped. Please click the Green Accept Button.

Thanks