Network Engineer
Network Engineer, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  30 Years Experience Hardware and Software Support,Mac OS X, Expert.

how do I reset my MP3 player - it is frozen on the ...

Customer Question

how do I reset my MP3 player - it is frozen on the hour glass icon at start-up
Category: Computer
Expert:  PCman replied 9 years ago.

Please let us know make & model.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
well it is a generic version of a Nano - there isn't really a make/model; here's all of the info I have on it: MP3/MP4 player; 4 gb; was an ebay purchase described as a new generation player; supports MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WMV, ASF WAV, and AMV, etc. also supports JPEG, GIF and BMP, TXT, and IRC; has a FM function as well;   I'm sorry that is all the information I really have
Expert:  PCman replied 9 years ago.

Please try these instructions at Apple's website. Chances are it resets the same way the original does.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi, Well no luck with that. I think it's because my player does not have the traditional "hold" key like the others - it's a simple on/off switch. I read through other tutorials on that site and tried many of them, but have had no luck. I also tried to format the player, but I can't find it in Windows explorer or my device manager. I know the computer is reading it b/c if I go to 'safely remove hardware' it is identified as "USB 2.0 (HS) ADFU Device"    Any other thoughts? Thank you
Expert:  PCman replied 9 years ago.

When you open Windows Explorer with the player connected to the PC, do you see an additional disk drive (D:, E:, etc.)?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
nope - it's not reading the player at all in there
Expert:  PCman replied 9 years ago.

Then I can't really help. I'm answering with an Info Request so other experts can try.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for trying - hopefully someone can help me!
Expert:  Network Engineer replied 9 years ago.
I think your unit is called a i-bob.
I seen them for sale on ebay.
the i-Bob everything looks the same except for the click wheel/screen and its also ultrathin at just 7mm thick. There are three models available, 256MB, 512MB, and 1GB. All models feature a 1.5? OLED Display and support MP3/WMA/WAV/WMV/ASF file formats.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Network Engineer's Post:

Sounds like it, if not it's similar - do you know how to fix it? It is actually a 4 GB but has the other features you mentioned

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
You need to format the drive it's probbly corrupt,the problem is you don't know what brand this mp3 player is.
try the apple's instructions and see if they work on reformating it if not we can try something else.

Disconnect it from the computer (if connected).
Move the on/off switch/button to the off position.
Wait 5 seconds.
Move the switch to the play
it should be reset now.
if that don't work try holding down the power button for 30 secs and that might make it reboot.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
apple's instructions do not work - it powers on and off by a simple switch - not by holding the play button - - I can't reformat the drive b/c the computer is not reading it in windows explorer or my computer. when I "safely remove hardware" it is present as: USB 2.0 (HS) ADFU Device, but I cannot format it from there
are you able to take the back cover off?
mayber there some info in there we can use to find out what model it is.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Network Engineer's Post: This link looks like a great source if my player was dead - thank you, XXXXX XXXXX did not help my frozen player - I'm giving up on it, but thank you for your help!
sometimes they freeze at the hourglass when you first load because your battery is dead and ther isnt enough power to load the next screen
did you try replaceing the battery or plugging it into a ac adapter ?

Here is another fix I found on the web.

After finding that removing and reinserting the battery would shut down the player but would not fix the startup crash I tried this.

1. After shutting down the unit using the battery trick and reinserting the battery but leaving the player off, I plugged it into the USB cable and the computer picked it up and allowed access to the contents (even though the contents could not be seen by the player).

2. I deleted all folders and files except the setings.dat file which originates from the player rather than your computer.

3 Without disconnecting the unit (which would bring back the hour glass crash) I reinstalled the firmware with the format drive option (whatever the default is – fat or fat32), then disconnected and tested it, then reconnected and reloaded the same folder structure and files, and it has been working fine since.

I had tried this once without deleting the existing files or formatting, and that fixed the crash but the player could still not see the files (although the computer could), and certain letters in the display screens were replaced with generic characters. Seems like the firmware upgrade routine is buggy and had terminated after installing all but the display text.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
mine does not have a removable battery - I tried that at the beginning
Most don't try it on a ac adapter.