JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant
Experience:  Computer user since '79 - Worked for ISPs, ASPs and dot.coms. Pro Photographer since '02

how do i open a safe without the combination

Customer Question

i have a large safe without the combination
Category: Computer
Expert:  JC Dill replied 9 years ago.

I'm assuming you have legal rights and legal access to this safe. We don't condone or assist in law breaking here on Just Answer.

It depends on what type of safe this is, and if you remember some of the combination already.

One method is the "brute force" method - this doesn't mean physical force, but rather going thru every possible combination one at a time until you find the one that works.

Another method involves listening to the safe (using special tools) to hear when the tumblers drop when you find one of the right numbers. Depending on the safe you can sometimes do this without needing special tools (e.g. using an old-style telephone headset, or a stethoscope), other times it needs special safe-cracking tools that only a locksmith has.

Some safes can not be opened without a combination and unless you can figure out the combo by brute force you will need to drill or otherwise physically penetrate the safe. I own a safe like this, and I'm VERY careful to not lose or forget the combination!

Here are some links with more information: