John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

How can I remove Google Web Accelerator from my ...

Customer Question

How can I remove Google Web Accelerator from my control panel when it will not remove due to error"pastnetclientwarden" fatal error during installation. Now the remove option is darkened out and does not work only for GWA?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Here are some things to try:

• Try reinstalling Google Web Accelerator, then go to Add/Remove Programs to remove it
  • Do a search for "Google Web Accelerator" and look for a file called Uninstall..... (it may be in one of the found folders). Then Run that Uninstall file.
  • If uninstall does not remove it, try deleting all found files and folders in the search above.
  • Finally, try uninstalling FireFox, reboot and then reinstall Google Web Accelerator.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've already tried that,thanks
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

If you're sure that all the files related to GWA have been deleted, then the only remaining thing to do (other than reinstalling windows) is to try to remove any traces of this program from your registry. But I do not recommend you make changes to the registry unless you are familiar with this task.

Click Start > Run , type regedit and click OK.

When the registry windows comes up, make a backup of the registry in case something goes wrong. To do that click File > Export, choose a name and location.

Now select My Computer in the left pane, and do a search (Edit > Find) for Google Web Accelerator, and another search for GWB. Delete what you find (but make sure that anything you are deleting is indeed related to Google Web Accelerator)

If that doesn't do it, you will have to run windows repair or reinstalltion using your windows cd..

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would rather not mess with the registry.my friend who built this computer could not remove GWA from control panel. It has been removed everywhere else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am affraid if I reinstall Web accel. I'll get another fatal error in installation.Right now my computer is running fine and GWA is nowhere to be found except in control panel remaining idle with no remove option.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Hi Russel,

Yes it is perfectly alright leaving it in the Add Remove list as long as it is not causing other problems. But if you want to manually remove it from appearing in that list you can still do that through a simple registry edit or by means of some software. It is a simple process, let me know and I will guide you through this process.

Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

If you just want to remove it from the Add/Remove list, here is what you do:

Method 1: Start the registry by clicking Start > Run, and type regedit m click OK. In the registry go to the following key[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]You will see a list of sub-keys under this key. To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be on the right some values Look for Google Web Accelerator in the 'DisplayName' line To remove it from the list you can simply highlight and delete the sub-key representing that program.

Method 2: Download and install the following free cleaning disc utilities

http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html

When you run CCleaner, click on the Tools icon on the left, and you will see a list of the installed programs. Select the one you want to remove and click Delete Entry.

Hope this will do it for you. If you need anything else feel free to ask.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
John,I ran the cleaning program and followed your instructions and after clicking on delete GWA I got a msg that said cannot delete MSI installator. Should I select GWA and click on uninstall or what happened?
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

Deleting the item does just that... it removes it from the list. Running the Uninstaller on the other hand, uninstalls the product with all its orphan files and its registry keys.

You can certainly run the Uninstaller if you like, but it is unlikely that it will do much, and that is because when the Delete key failed to work, it means that the program not only is it not there, but even its name which appears to be in the list, is not actually there anymore. But you may be lucky. Try it.

BTW have you tried the Method 1 that I suggested in my last post (removal from the registry). If not I suggest you do. This process is not as risky as my first registry search task - this it because you are dealing with one registry key which you know for sure that it is related to the installation of the program. I suggest you do that (again save the registry before you make any changes... just in case.)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I tried the registry and clicked on run I got an error regarding the m after hitting ok.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Don't quite get what you mean by "I got an error regarding the m"

Did you manage to open the registry program using these steps:

If so what happened next?