Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...

Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback

my computer screen is too white. I can't see the ...

my computer screen is too white. I can't see the grids, colors and buttons of a lot of web sites. For example this screen, I don't see the box where I am typing this now, jst plain white screen. I have winXP service pack 2, Dell inspiron 9300 note book

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok we can take a look at this, and get it back up and running,

First try to set the contrast and brightness on your laptop.

Holding down the FN Key, look for something that looks like the sun; this is brightness, click to set the brightness

Next, holding down the FN Key again, look for something that has Half white and Half black, this is the contrast, click to set the contrast

Let me know if you need more help

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: It adjusted the brightness and contrast. But some colors and buttons are not showing. for example I dont't see the color or button around the Just Answer Logo. Only the color of the font is green . Another example my google screen, I don't see the color background behind the google calender. Just black calender on white screen.Some some sites I don't see their BUY button at all. This box I am not seeing the send button below. But I point my mouse below and have to look and figure by seeing the little hand.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I just accidently clicked accept instead of send because i don't see those buttons.

Have you made any changes display lately?

No you haven't Accepted yet.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no i didn't. where is the reply button on this screen. left or right? i don't see them

I think they are on the left now. Just keep doing what you are doing, that is repling just fine.

lets try this

Start ->Control Panel ->Display -> Appearance

Use the drop down arrow to go to windows classic

Click apply and ok

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
done. still the same

Ok, go to this site,

Click on the left

Tell me if you see all the colors in the center screen Sample usage

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, I don't see any of those colors
did you click on the seperate colors?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: I clicked the colors under color usage title. But nothing loaded in the sample usage area.

ok, just to verify.

Do you see the color Black

Do you see the color Blue

Do you see the color Red

Do you see the color Yellow

If you are not seeing the true colors I stated, then you have a problem with the Hardware and it will need to be taken to a repair shop, and Hopefully can be repaired.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i can see the colors

Sounds like you have a Hardware issue.

But if you want to try one more thing, just incase something got deleted

Try a restore to a date previous to the color loss

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, and then click next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5. Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6. The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

After reviewing the stability of your system, you can choose another restore point or undo this restoration. Just open System Restore and make the appropriate choice. After you use System Restore, you'll have an additional task; Undo my last restoration, on the System Restore Welcome page. Remember that you'll have to reinstall any programs that were installed after the restore point.

If System Restore doesn't work in Normal Mode, it might work in Safe Mode. To use System Restore in Safe Mode, press the F8 key during reboot and choose Safe Mode. When your computer starts in either Safe Mode or Normal Mode, System Restore can be used to capture a working previous state. System Restore can't be opened unless the system is bootable into one of these modes.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the earliest system restore point I have is Feb 1 07. The problem is more than a year old
ok, that sounds like the video card or monitor is going out, you will need to take it to a repairman... Sorry
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: after I accepted your answers, i called
Dell and they said it is not a hardware issue
What did they think it was
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: they didn't tell me. they gave the number of their software support group for me to call. they suspect it is IE 7 issue, but i reinstalled that yesterday, still have the problem. but i have the same problem with mozilla also. but with IE 6, things better, not that great. i am stuck.
I never thought of that... Do you have all your colors except the internet?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: i think so. i can check again. is their any special way to check?

Do you have any picture scanned or on your computer?

If not there is som samples, go to your desktop

double click on My Document

look in My pictures

There should be a few samples.

double click on the pictures and let them open, tell me if you see the pictures with the following colors

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
they all look good

ok, I have been trying to reproduce what you might have,

Since your colors work on your computer, its not your hardware.

I want you to close all of your internet browsers

go to Start->Control panel-> Internet Options

on the bottom of that window you will see colors

click on it and then make sure that the "Use windows colors" Is checked.

Then click ok

Then click on Accessibility.

Make sure nothing is checked here. Click ok and apply then ok

now get back on line and check your colors

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no luck

Ok, lets try a repair

We will see if it will repair, run the following, after finishing if you upgraded your Sp2, you will need to re-update.

Please do is the following:
Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.
The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to repair the selected Windows XP installation. To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time.
***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the machine comes xp installed and they didn't send a cd.

We have made all the changes that can be made. It must be something inside the actual registry, this will need repaired. I would suggest that you contact DELL and have them send you a XP disk. Without it we can't do a repair.

Just tell them that your computer didn't come with one in most cases they will send you one.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i will try that. thanks a lot

Your welcome.

Thanks again for the Accept and feedback

Please let me know how it goes.