Stephen
Stephen, Programmer
Experience:  ***

i HAVE INTERNET SITES IN MY HISTORY i NEVER VISITED. hOW ...

Customer Question

i HAVE INTERNET SITES IN MY HISTORY i NEVER VISITED. hOW DID THEY GET THERE?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Stephen replied 7 years ago.
If they are in your history, then someone accessed the pages. It may have been someone else, but your computer has accessed those pages.

Another possibilty is that some sites will launch pop-ups in the background, and you may be seeing those in the history..

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: How can I tell if the page was a pop up or an actual accessed webpage. If there is a website and you click on it and then there are three pages underneath it; is that a popup?
Expert:  Stephen replied 7 years ago.
If you visit the address linked in your history, you can get a pretty good idea baed on the layout.

What type of pages are you seeing that you have not been too? Some may be dangerous to go to again (porn, warez, or other sites that have malicious code built into them).

It may be a good idea to install some pop up blocking software and you definitely need to be running adware/spyware protection software.

Spyware Doctor is my recommendation for that.

If it is a case where someone is accessing your computer with out your knowledge you can install monitoring software so that you can see where they are going and what they are doing, and that will help you track down who it is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: I see maximonline.com (magazine). It's not in the drop down and you have to actually go to cbssportsline.com to get to maximonline.com without it being on your drop down menu. When you click maximonline.com, there are three links under it in history. pop ups have been a problem in the past. Does that sound like this is what is happening?
Expert:  Stephen replied 7 years ago.
Well it sounds like someone actually visited maximonline, and then that spawned a few popups. It is possible that from cbssports.com the link to maxim was hit by mistake, which would explain why there are not a lot of followup links in the history for that.

Without a more advanced way of monitoring it would be impossible to determine the actual events surrounding that page being put into the history log, but if that is the worst site on your history, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Install the spyware adware protection application, and make sure your virus defs are up to date. This is good advice regardless of the situtation.

If you are still concerned about unauthorized usage, install the monitoring software (SpectorSoft is a good one).

Hope this helps.