JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant
Experience:  Computer user since '79 - Worked for ISPs, ASPs and dot.coms. Pro Photographer since '02
3324609

my laptop takes a very long time to complete booting ...

Customer Question

my laptop takes a very long time to complete booting up and occasionally, it goes in to a spin. Can anyone help me diagnos the problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

Smile Hello ---

IF you will try going into Safe Mode ---

Turn off computer -- wait 15 secs --- turn on computer hold down F8 === when you enter the Advanced menu Options -- select Safe Mode ---

does it boot up faster ?

Thanks

Michael

(Computer Guru :)

Expert:  JC Dill replied 9 years ago.
Please run the following diagnostic:

1) Boot into either Safe Mode as Michael instructs above, or boot up normally. (Or do it both ways and post both results).

2) Start a DOS window by clicking Start -> Run -> and type: command.com <enter>

3) Type: netstat <enter>

4) Click on the icon at the top left corner of the DOS window, and select Edit -> Mark.

5) Highlight the netstat results and <enter> to copy the highlighted text.

6) Switch to your browser and paste the results into a reply here.

7) To close the DOS window type: exit <enter>

jc

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Can I post a reply later? The PC in question is at home.
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

sure --- I just want to make sure it is not the beginning of a Hard Drive Failure ----

if it loads faster in safe mode then it is something in the background not Hardware ---

so let us know, when you can ----

Thanks

Michael

(Computer Guru :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Thanks will try this evening.
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

May also want to run a Registry Scanner / Cleaner -- and see if that helps ---

I find that a lot of problems with boot up or overall speed of the system can be eliminated if you regularly run a scanner / cleaner ---

Thanks

Michael

(Computer Guru :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Idid as JC asked and below are the results. I will now try what Michael suggested and boot in safe mode.

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\RAFAEL~1>netstat

Active Connections

Proto XXXXX          Foreign Address        State
TCP    RomanLaptop:1044       CPE00115b2d0c39-CM014260000834.cpe.net.cable.rog
ers.com:1182 ESTABLISHED
TCP    RomanLaptop:1047       va-in-f104.google.com:http ESTABLISHED

C:\DOCUME~1\RAFAEL~1>
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

Did you also run the registry scanner cleaner I suggested in the above post ?

Michael

(Computer Guru :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Mr. Guru,

I will try the registry cleaner this evening?

Rafael
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

ok,,, waiting to hear ---

Michael

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Michael,

I spent $29.95 on a registry cleaner (I had 1300+ errors) that did not solve the painfully slow windows booting/loading problem. I am willing to pay to fix the problem but so far we have not. Any other suggestions?

BTW I noted that when my wife logs on, her windows boot up is much faster then when I log on.
Expert:  JC Dill replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

Your netstat results are OK - your computer isn't loading any viruses that are sending information out on the internet. That's the #1 cause of slow booting computers.

The information that your wife's login boots much faster than your login is VERY helpful. This brings us back to problems with your login account. There are programs being loaded when you login that are slowing your computer down.

Let's start by shutting off "helper" programs that get loaded when you boot your computer. These programs can greatly slow down how long it takes for your computer to boot. They are installed to give you the illusion that the application (e.g. Microsoft Office) itself starts faster when you start it later - an illusion because it slowed down the computer when you booted! What they have done is break the application into two parts - the helper program partially loads the application (which then hogs some of your computer's memory), during bootup, and then loads the rest of the application "faster" when you start the application. By removing these helper programs from the boot process you no longer have to partially load all of these applications each and every time you start your computer. The applications you do use will load slightly slower later, when you launch them, but the total time saved will be significant because you don't normally open all of these programs every time you use your computer

Click Start -> Run and type: msconfig
Click on the Startup tab.

Remove the checkbox in front of any "helper" or "taskbar" or "quick launch" program, or anything else that looks like a program that you only use occasionally. Frequent culprits include Acrobat, MS Office, Quicktime/iTunes, RealAudio, etc. Also disable automatic launch for Instant Message programs (e.g. AIM). Be sure to NOT disable your anti-virus program!

Make a list of everything you disable. They will still be here on this startup tab and you can re-enable them by putting the checkmark back in the checkbox. However, you need to test that these applications work properly even when they no longer have their quick launch units loaded when your computer boots.

When you are done, it will prompt you to reboot. Reboot and see if it boots faster now. Then start each of the applications on your list. (If you don't know how to start one of the applications directly, just reply and tell me the name.) If the application loads and runs fine, and it is a application you don't use each time you boot the computer, then you probably will want to keep it off the startup list. If it is an application you use every time you start your computer, then you might want to enable the helper program on the startup list, but leave all the others un-checked.

jc
JC Dill, Consultant
Experience: Computer user since '79 - Worked for ISPs, ASPs and dot.coms. Pro Photographer since '02
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
JC/Michael,

I will try this tonight and let you know.

Many thanks!!!
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

or you could run this and it tells you all the startup programs -- and then uncheck the ones you don't want to run ---

Startup list

Let me know what programs are running at startup under HKLM RUN and HKCU RUN --- Please post here ---

Thanks

Michael

(Computer Guru :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks...I did as JC said and unchecked all items. This decreased the boot-up time from 15 minutes to 5, a very good improvement. I will try Michael's suggestion also.

I will send in another question about the boot-up at a later time. For now I will continue to focus on the the start-up items.

Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer -- and please ask for me again ---

Michael

(Computer Guru :)