Steven Hansen
Steven Hansen, Consultant
Experience:  Bsc. (Hons) IT (5yrs), Networking, Windows/Unix, Hardware and Application Expert
3419941

Need help VIDEO CAPTURING Microsoft Plus! dancers on screen

Customer Question

If someone knowledgeable about "VIDEO CAPTURE USING SCREEN CAPTURE programs...I need help "VIDEO CAPTURING" the dancing characters that dance on the bottom of my screen that are Microsoft Plus! Dancers......When I try and capture them, it just shows what is under them.......I have tried a few screen capture programs that have video capture with no luck.
Category: Computer
Expert:  The DV Show replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?
-What internet browser are you using?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Operating system I have is Windows XP.......browser is prettty much irrelevant as these dancing characters are downloaded to my computer...they are not transmitted from the internet in any way.....no internet program needs to be running when they are used.....research "MICROSOFT PLUS! DANCERS"........what have I already tried.....I have already tried 4 video capture programs....have already tried changing dancer setting so dancer doesn't have to appear ahead of other windows....regardless dancer doesn't appear just whatever screensaver or folder is behind it........It appears the dancing character it sees as being a layer on top of whatever else makes up "the screen" and not part of what you see on the screen........you can feel free to download dancer trial....also can feel free to download video capture programs....
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
1) Download Microsoft Plus Dancers...
2) Download any Screen Capture Video Capture program

Both they have on trials...

you might have an answer from their..

If you guys could do this, I may have a few more questions to be willing to pay 15$ for...
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Hi Dave,

I was reading your post and the other experts responses, and I can see some confusion in the replies. You are absolutely right in that video screen capture programs cannot see or record the dancer. I have the dancers program and a couple of popular video capture programs. No matter what settings I tried I was not able to capture the dancer. I will look further into this interesting observation and let you if I find anything.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I appreciate it....One thing I can say that is helpful is that within the Windows Dancer Plus! Program....you can in the program in the menu settings view a snap shot of the dancer with your screensaver and desktop folders in the background.....So Windows Plus! is able to do it.....Only other thing I could say that might be helpful is this.....Perhaps you should see if you can do a SCREEN CAPTURE and catch it......than see why this works and how to duplicate it with VIDEO CAPTURE....what are your thoughts...how do you want to approach it...
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I have an idea.......lets pretend what we are doing is relaying what is supposed to be on the computer screen and put it on a tv screen.....or relay it to a projector......if we were doing this the dancing character that would appear on my computer monitor would appear in what is projected or on the television.........the dancing character is not lost......

Let's apply this same concept to screen capture, video capture....if when whatever is on the screen is projected with a projector (if set up) or relayed to another screen or tv (if set up) and character IS NOT LOST....how can this principal be aplied to with screen capture viewing screen with character.......dloes this make sense
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

You're right. In fact you can capture a still image of the dancer using any screenshot utility including windows Prnt Scrn key. I first thought that it had to do with the "Keep dancer on top" option, but even that did not work. hmm.. As I said if I find any explanation or cure I will let you know.

Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Yeah, I guess that way you should be able to record the tv screen using an external vhs or dvd recorder. Interesting.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I know there is a way you can "print to file"...instead of printing a web article....or something you typed up you can somehow print to file so it creates a file copy instead of printing it......... perhaps instead of relaying screen to an external tv screen....or relaying screen to a projector it can "print to file"......basically sending whatever it would send to projector or tv screen to a stored computer file.........Basically instead of "recording it," think of relaying it, but relaying to yourself....does this help...
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Here is the whole purpose.....I want to be able to "green screen" "blue screen" "chromakey" the dancing character....be able to separate character from background by separating him from the blue of my screen.......you with me........now if I video tape it....or project on wall than video tape....or get it somehow on a VHS tape or whatnot......than on that recording that blue is not one constant color....and of ccourse the lines/picture/framerate/fuzziness make prevent the clear shape and separation from blue I want.....that is why it is important it is done digitallly and on computer....make sense
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

I see... yes it does make sense, but have you tried looking for other dancers programs that would allow you to video capture their figures?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
As you know...computer graphics are 72 dpi...

That makes these characters roughly 150 pixels tall...which works for me...

I tried a few other ones that had characters half the size 72 dpi around...some less....wasn't happy with them....other programs may make them smaller to make downloading easier.....I don't know...not sure......Went through a half dozen programs...couldn't find any others really...did an exhausitive search..
Expert:  Steven Hansen replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer

there is a great tool for capturing any direct-x based graphics, which the dancers are:

Fraps

Download here:
http://www.fraps.com/

You can also specifiy an area to zoom in.

It's a great tool !

If you have any difficulty using the tool please contact me.

Kind regards

Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Hi Dave,

OK, it turned out to be a simple setting in the capture program. Look in the program settings for "capture tooltips" or "layered windows. If you can't find these options let me know.

Here is what the captured video would look like.

Sample Video

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I am unclear......as far as "capture tooltips" or "layered windows," you are advising me to do this in FRAPS? Or in another program...or any program.....

dc
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Basically....in the preview video you sent me .....was this done in fraps...done in another program.......
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Some capture programs allow you to capture a layer of windows that would be otherwise not seen when capturing videos. That layer holds special windows pop ups and tooltips. If your program does not have it then you need to get one that does. For instance I use two capture programs Easy Screen Capture Video , and CaptureWiz. The first does not have this feature, the second does. The video I sent you was created by the CaptureWiz after making adjustment in it settings. Here is the website where you can download it from

http://www.pixelmetrics.com/

I believe you can get on 30 day free trial basis, but it's worth buying it as it has nice interface and good features. Try out and see.

After you install the program, go to Options > Video tab, and check the box 'Capture XP tooltips ("layered windows")'.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Dave,

fraps captures it all, especially Microsoft dancers.
Another great program is Camtasia.
www.camtasia.com

Kind regards

Steven Hansen, Consultant
Experience: Bsc. (Hons) IT (5yrs), Networking, Windows/Unix, Hardware and Application Expert
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.
So, did you manage to try it?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
No, I haven't tried it....because windows PLUS!..is only for Windows....I have a mac laptop.....I won't have my PC until tomorrow....trust you though as you included a video.......

Whichever program I use should have a feature where you can create a smaller box area you want to record...
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I kind of screwed up....paid the other guy instead of you.....he added a line to those two e-mails you gave me with the answer....I assumeed all three were the same person, didn't realize other people could see the dialogue....

Anyways, just paid you as well as you were the person who gave the answer really......Didn't want you to think I wasn't going to be fair with you....
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Thanks for the accept. Yes is it will work on windows xp.

Do let me know if you have any problems. Good luck.

Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

Well.. it is somewhat confusing, especially when another expert jumps in in the middle of the discussion between the customer and the original expert. Thanks again :)

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
John D.....to save me time downloading a program that doesn't work, please clarify which of the propose programs allow you to create a box so it just records what is under that box.......for example, lets say I want to record a 3x3 inch portion of the screen.....not the whole thing...which program that you used does this?
Expert:  John D replied 10 years ago.

That would be the one I sent you the link for, which is CaptureWiz and the link again is

http://www.pixelmetrics.com/

It will allow you to choose the size the capture box from say 1/2" x 1/2" all the way to full screen.