RobertDavis
RobertDavis, Database Administrator
Experience:  MS SQL Server Certified Professional
3847331

my computer says printer not connected, but it is connected

Customer Question

I brought a new computer, ano connected my old computer.. installed the software ok, noproblem. The printer is connected to the computer, however the computer says the printer is not connected.
Category: Computer
Expert:  RobertDavis replied 10 years ago.

I had the same problem with my HP All-in-one when I upgraded to Windows 2000 years ago. I had worked perfectly on Windows 98 until that point.

Visit your printer manufacturer's website and make sure you have the newest drivers. This fixed my issue.

Make sure the cable is properly connected at both ends.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to RobertDavis's Post: OK I WILL TRY THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE FIRST FOR THE LATEST DRIVERS BEFORE ACCEPTING...NEED COUPLE DAYS.. THANKS. THE CPRINTER WAS CONNECTED VIA THE OLD STYLE CABLE.. AND I HAD TO BUT ONE WITH THE USB END IN ONE OF THE CABLE ENDS TO CONNECT TO THE NEW COMPUTER (WINDOWS VISTA BY THE WAY)... BUT CABLE IS CONNECTED WELL... I WILL LET YOU KNOW RESULT SOON

The old cable was a USB1 cable and the new cable is USB2. USB2 is backwards compatible with USB1 devices, so the new cable shouldn't be an issue.

Since this is Windows Vista, it most likely is a driver issue. Whenever there is a new version of Windows, there are hardware incompatibilities that the hardware manufacturers must work through ... or decide not to work through.

There is a chance that the printer manufacturer has not updated the drivers for Vista yet. They generally start with their newest models first and work their way backwards. If your printer is too old, the manufacturer may not update the drivers for it at all.

Good luck!!