Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...

Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
283538

I have lost the color on my computer. I uninstalled ...

I have lost the color on my computer. I uninstalled my video driver and rebooted. XP reloaded the drivers and the color was restored, but if I restart the computer again, the color is lost again. Help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert replied 7 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,
Ok we can take a look at this, and get you back and running.

Try it again, but this time do it in safemode

Go to Start-> shut down-> Reboot

Reboot your computer, F8 safe mode

Go to

Start->Control Panel->System-> System->Hardware->Device Manager->Display adapters.

Write down the names in the area, Just incase the drivers can't be found.

Uninstall all the devices, some may be tied in to others, and as you uninstall them it will remove the others.

Reboot

The display adapter devices should reinstall and you should be up and running.

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: It did not work. I did everything your said. The color did comeback, but as soon as I reboot after driver re-installed, I lost the color again ( like in my question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer 3 hours later. Michael L is my JA expert.

Hi and welcome back, I am sorry fro the delay, I have been sick today and in and out from the computer.

It when it loses color, does it change the display resolution here

Start ->Control Panel ->Display -> Settings

tell me what you see in the color settings

Please post the information in the morning, I will be at my best tomorrow. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the display resolution does change when the color goes. the resolution size is 1024 by 768, highest 32. I will check back with you after 12pm (eastern time)tomorrow. Hope you feel better.

Thank you I am feeling much better, Let me know when you are ready.

I need to know what video card you are using?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Michael. the video card is nvida riva128/128zx

ok, let's try this

go here and download the driver for AGP or PCI which ever you have.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/riva_drivers.html

Install the driver, and then change the driver in the settings to the new one.

I don't see XP drivers like I do for all the others, which makes me believe that this card maynot work very well with XP, but still try the download

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok I will try and be back at 3:30
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: Michael I downloaded the driver but cannot install. There is no setup file to install

ok when you downloaded it, do you remember where it went, it may just be the driver file.

go to

Start-> Control panel-> Display-> Settings

once there click on Advanced

Click on Adapter, then properties and then driver

click on update driver

then click on the install from list or specific location

click next

Now uncheck removable drives and check include this location for search

now click on the browse button and go to where you downloaded that file.

click next

It should find it at that point, follow the instruction to complete the task.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the computer said they could not find a better driver than the one I have

Ok I was afraid or that...

is this a card you added to your machine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no this card is built on to my motherboard (old system. I have added memory, new hard drive.
Did you upgrade to XP?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes xp office
About the same time as the problem, or has it been working fine for awhile?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, xp has been installed close to 2yrs. the problem started in Dec 06
Ok lets try a restore back before Dec.

If you were able to do it before, run the following to a date just before you lost your problem;

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, and then click next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5. Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6. The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

After reviewing the stability of your system, you can choose another restore point or undo this restoration. Just open System Restore and make the appropriate choice. After you use System Restore, you'll have an additional task; Undo my last restoration, on the System Restore Welcome page. Remember that you'll have to reinstall any programs that were installed after the restore point.

If System Restore doesn't work in Normal Mode, it might work in Safe Mode. To use System Restore in Safe Mode, press the F8 key during reboot and choose Safe Mode. When your computer starts in either Safe Mode or Normal Mode, System Restore can be used to capture a working previous state. System Restore can't be opened unless the system is bootable into one of these modes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: I tried system restore and nothing happen. My daughter installed Corel and that is when the trouble started. I uninstalled Corel and all of its components. I don't remember when in Dec she installed it.

about the only other thought I have would be to do a repair,

We will see if it will repair, run the following, after finishing if you upgraded your Sp2, you will need to re-update.

Please do is the following:
Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.
The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to repair the selected Windows XP installation. To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time.
***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, I will try this and if I do not reply tonight I will talk to you tomorrow after 10:00am thanks
Ok, I will look for your reply later or in the morning, I will only be on for about another hour and half.
Experience: One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback