Michael
Michael, Online Computer Repair Expert
Experience:  MCSE, BA in Computer Sciences, 6+ years Diagnosis and Repair

My computer will not display images. I know it is not the ...

Customer Question

My computer will not display images. The computer starts, however nothing is on the screen. I know it is not the monitor or the video card, what else could it be?
Category: Computer
Expert:  wwood101268 replied 7 years ago.

If your computer starts up to a blank screen and you know the monitor & video card to be good then it could be that the screen refresh rate is set too high for the monitors you are using. when you turn on your computer press F8(usually this is the correct key to press) and this will take you to the boot menu. Select Last known good configuration and this will reset your computer to a time when it worked.

Hope this works.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I have tried this in the past. Nothing will display on the screen, not even the help menues. I have reason to believe that there is hardware failure somewhere, I am just not sure where.
Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

Hello ---

Do you hear any beeps when you turn it on ?

we should first check the Motherboard ---

unplug computer --- open case --- remove all Ram ( Memory ) then turn on computer --it should beep ,, if it does then we can continue , if not then the Motherboard is not reading the memory configuration and would need to be replaced --

Sorry for the bad news ---

If you need further assistance please let me know ---

Thanks

Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The computer now beeped once the memory was removed, so the motherboard is good. The motherboard, video card, and monitor are all good. Any other ideas as to why the computer does not display images?

When did this problem start occuring? Did you swap out any hardware or download anything? What kind of video port do you use? - AGP, PCI or PCI-E?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think it started occuring a week ago, but in a very abrupt manner. I did not do anything that would influence this change, no hardware swaps, no downloads, which is the weird part. The video port is standard PCI. And the computer is an HP pavilion.

If it is a PCI Video Card, do you have an extra PCI slot on that motherboard? If so have you tried swapping the card to a different slot?

Is the monitor LED green or orange when you start up the computer?

Does your monitor say anything about display not found?

Have you checked the monitor cable for any broken or bent pins?

What is the brand and model of monitor?

Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

Something to try ---

Your Bios may have been corrupted from exchanging the video cards --- so I would suggest clearing the Cmos and force the computer to re-read the configuration --- or it could be that the battery is failing, and needs to be replaced ---

to reset Cmos ---

unplug computer --- open case -- look for a small flat ( looks like a watch battery ) and remove -- DO NOT FORCE IT --- otherwise you could use the Cmos reset jumper --- it is located not too far from the battery --- just change the jumper to clear for 30 secs -- and place it back --- now close computer -- plug in and turn on -- it will now re-configure your Cmos --- with the new video card ----

Good Luck !

Sincerely

Michael

Michael, Online Computer Repair Expert
Experience: MCSE, BA in Computer Sciences, 6+ years Diagnosis and Repair
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Michael, the CMOS could not have been corrupted from the exchange for the simple fact that the comp ran into this problem before I swaped the two cards. Once this problem occured is when I started testing things like the motherboard, video card, and monitors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I removed the RAM and turned the computer on, receiving a series of beeps telling me the motherboard is alive. After I reinstalled the RAM, I turned the computer on and now a get series of beeps that I did not get before. There are three beeps; the first one is longer, the next two, which are immediately after, are shorter beeps. Any idea of what these beeps mean?
Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

to better assist you,, could you tell me the make and model computer --- and if possible which BIOS version you are using ?

Thanks

Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a HP pavilion 533. And I believe the BIOS is Award BIOS.
Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

according to the beep code ----

reseat the video card or bad video card --- reseat the Ram or bad Ram --- insert one stick at a time and see if it still beeps ---

Thanks

Michael

(Mr.Giles)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know its not the video card; I even bought a new ATI card and still the same thing. I tried the memory idea with one stick at a time, but still the same outcome. I am starting to wonder if the memory has just gone out.
Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

that is very possible,,, it could have been power surged --- was the computer plugged in when you installed the memory and the video card ?

Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You know thinking back it may have been. But that would not explain why I had the problem in the first place since I did all that work after the problem occured, right?
Expert:  Michael replied 7 years ago.

when it first occurred it could have been a bad video card or a bad ram stick -- but then the replacement could have been damaged by a power surge from the computer being plugged in --- it has happened before --- one problem compounds on another ---

Michael