Steven Hansen
Steven Hansen, Consultant
Experience:  Bsc. (Hons) IT (5yrs), Networking, Windows/Unix, Hardware and Application Expert
3419941

How do I transfer My AOL email stored on my old PC to my new pC

Customer Question

I have built a new Vista computer and would like to transfer my AOL email saved on my old computer to the new one. What is the file name the email is stored in? I have tryed .abi and pfc?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steven Hansen replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

you need to save your e-mails from your PC to AOL and then once you have setup AOL VR (AOL for Vista) you download from AOL to PC.

It does not work by copying files.

Directly from AOL:
http://help.aol.com/aimhelp/dynamickc.do?externalId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId221125&sliceId=&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId221125

The AOL® Suite and AOL® OpenRide® software offers the Saved on My PC and the Saved on AOL (known as the On AOL folder in AOL OpenRide) folders to help you save and organize your e-mail. These folders represent two different approaches to mail storage and offer a powerful, yet flexible, way to manage your e-mail. The AOL Suite and AOL OpenRide software gives you the option of saving your e-mail messages on your computer, or on AOL® servers.

Your e-mail storage folders are accessed from your AOL Mail window or the MAIL tab in the Mail Folders or Folders panel. Mail saved on your computer can be found in the Saved on My PC folder. Mail saved on AOL servers can be found in the Saved on AOL or On AOL folder. Your Saved on AOL or On AOL mail folder can be accessed from anywhere and can store an unlimited number of e-mails and attachments.

Save E-mail to Your Saved on My PC Folder

E-mail saved to your Saved on My PC folder will only be accessible on the computer on which it was saved. You can select your Saved on My PC settings to automatically save e-mail you send and read to your Saved on My PC folder.

To save e-mail to your Saved on My PC folder:
1. On the AOL Mail window or MAIL tab, navigate to the e-mail you want to save.
2. Click the e-mail you want to save to highlight it.
3. Click the Save button or Save icon, select Saved on My PC or Copy to>Saved on My PC, then click the folder to which you want to save the e-mail.

Note: AOL OpenRide does not have separate folders that you can save your mail into.

Back to Top

You can permanently store e-mail messages in a special online folder called the Saved on AOL folder. It can be accessed from any computer, even if you sign on to the AOL® software as a Guest.

To save e-mail to your Saved on AOL folder:
3. Click the Save button or Save icon, select Saved on AOL or Move to >, then click the folder to which you want to save the e-mail.

The other strategy is to use the Backup Filing Cabinet. You backup to the filing cabinet and on the new PC you import the filing cabinet as described here:

Your AOL® software automatically backs up the e-mail messages you have saved on your PC. This backup occurs once every 4 weeks when you exit the AOL software as part of your Personal Storage backup. The backed up Personal Storage is placed in a different folder on your computer.

AOL® File Backup offers additional protection for the Mail Saved on My PC (Filing Cabinet) by backing it up to your remote storage space on AOL. To ensure that the backed up e-mail messages are as up-to-date as possible, AOL File Backup automatically updates the Personal Storage backup frequency to "every week" during your installation of AOL File Backup. You may change this setting at any time if you wish to back up your Personal Storage less frequently. To learn more go to AOL® Keyword: File Backup.

If you are running the AOL® OpenRide® software, you can import the PFC from an earlier version of the AOL software, but the option to back up your PFC is not available.

Backup Your Personal Filing Cabinet

Making a Backup copy of your Personal Storage (Filing Cabinet or Saved on My PC folder) serves to safeguard your saved e-mail messages. In the event that you experience problems with your Filing Cabinet, having a backup copy of your Personal Storage will let you restore your saved messages.

Note: You must be signed off of the AOL® service in order to back up your Filing Cabinet.

To back up the contents of your Saved on My PC (Filing Cabinet) folder (all versions of AOL® 9.0):
1. Click the Mail menu, then click Mail Settings.
2. In the Mail Settings window, click the Manage Saved Mail button, then click Backup.
3. In the Backup Your Filing Cabinet window, click the Backup Now button.
4. Click the Save button.

To back up the contents of your Filing Cabinet in AOL® 6.0, AOL® 7.0, and AOL® 8.0:
1. Click the File menu, then click Filing Cabinet.
2. In the Filing Cabinet window, click the Manage button, then click Backup.
3. In the Backup Your Personal Filing Cabinet window, click the Backup Now button.
4. Click the X in the upper right corner to close the Filing Cabinet window.

Restore Your Filing Cabinet from A Backup Copy

When you restore your Filing Cabinet (Personal Storage), the backup copy of your Filing Cabinet or Saved on My PC folder replaces your current copy.

To restore your Saved on My PC (Filing Cabinet) folder (all AOL® 9.0 versions):
2. In the Mail Settings window, click the Manage Saved Mail button, then click Restore.
3. In the Restore Your Personal Storage window, click the Yes button.
4. Click the Save button.

To restore the contents of your Filing Cabinet in AOL 6.0, AOL 7.0, and AOL 8.0:
2. In the Filing Cabinet window, click the Manage button, then click Restore.
4. Click the X in the upper right to close the Filing Cabinet window.

Import a Backup Copy of Your PFC into AOL® OpenRide®

You can import a copy of your PFC from AOL 9.0 into the AOL OpenRide software.

To import a backup copy of your PFC into AOL OpenRide:
1. Click the Start button, select Programs or All Programs, select AOL, then click AOL OpenRide.
2. Click the Sign In link.
3. Enter your AOL® screen name and password, then click the Sign In button.
4. Click the MAIL pane to activate it.
5. Click the MAIL tab, select Settings, then click Import AOL Filing Cabinet (PFC).
6. Confirm the PFC you wish to import has a check mark next to it, then click the Next button.
7. Click the Close button.

Steven Hansen, Consultant
Experience: Bsc. (Hons) IT (5yrs), Networking, Windows/Unix, Hardware and Application Expert
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried to save, and move my email files saved on my PC to My AOL saved on AOL file and it says emails on my PC can't be saved or moved to AOL mail. Any ideas?

What version is the AOL on your old PC and what version on the new PC ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried saving my email files saved on my PC to AOL email; I get a msg saying files can't be saved from PC to AOL. I also tried to move (send to)the email files on my PC to AOL, same msg.

What version is the AOL on your old PC and what AOL version on the new PC ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am using AOL VR on both PCs. Old PC OS=windows XP PRO, New PC OS=Windows Vista Ultimate.

So using the filing cabinet backup didn't work ?

http://email.about.com/od/aoltips/qt/et040706.htm

and this

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/comms/aolbackup.htm

AOHelL was always a pain to transfer, even 15 years ago. Somethings don't change.

Can you upload the error message ? Or type the exact error please.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I tried both methods no luck. The files copy ok; but when i try to restore nothing happens. when i check AOL the restore hasn't done anything.

If I click the accept button does that close tis qustion session? How do I pay you a bonus?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I am trying to transfer my AOL saved on my PC email files to a new Computer.
Old computer Windows XP Pro, AOL VR, New Computer Windows Vista Ultimate, AOL VR.
I have tried to backup the files on the old computer and the copy the oganize folder to the new computer and restore. When I try restore nothing happens.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

I have quickly gone through the previous posts, and I know that the file copying method has been discussed but am not sure that you have gone through all the steps of copying and pasting in the manner explained in these article. Even if you have, I though it would be worth it to try it again step by step.

Copy or Backing Up Files:

Restoring From Backup

http://email.about.com/od/aoltips/qt/et042206.htm

I hope this works. If it doesn't, well you have nothing to lose..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to John D.'s Post: I have tried all the suggestions again. No luck.