Mr. Hollerith
Mr. Hollerith, Practical Experience!
Experience:  IBM 360 SysOp (in 1966!). Heavy PC user. Introduced Mainframe & PC processes for 33 years at work.
2837397

Management Information System Questions

I need this answer in one hour please.
2 short essay questions and the rest multiple choice. (1-hour I need the answers or less. thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good bonus)
Question #1-The owner of a fast-growing retail store chain has come to you, an IT Consultant, for help. Wear-Rite Clothes started over 50 years ago as a men’s clothing store in downtown Chicago by Harrison Wear, the current owner’s grandfather. Over time, the store has grown from one location, to multi-national locations, and selling women’s and children’s clothes as well. They just introduced a line of upper-end furnishings, and found that their homegrown computer system can’t take any more expansion. You have been asked to evaluate their existing computer system, and make recommendations on how the company should proceed. You found that there is much duplication of business information (customer information, supplier information, sales and marketing information) in the several areas of the business (Marketing, Accounting, Sales, Inventory Management, and Customer Service). Actually, each department started with the same file and wrote individual programs to address their specific requirements. Each area has also added little modifications to their stand-alone data file based on their use of the information. As the IT consultant, you recommend Wear-Rite should consider using a database management system, and consolidate the information into a centralized database and incorporate all of the requirements from each of the departments. You inform Mr. Todd Wear, the CEO, of his options.

a). Define a database management system, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages to Wear-Rite in consolidating the different files into a database –vs- keeping the data the way they currently store and use it.
b) Identify at least three challenges that Wear-Rite mana
Wear-Rite Company described in Question number 1 is happy with your consultation on the centralized database. They are asking you to make recommendations on their supply chain management and network structure.
a) List at least two networking issues that must be addressed when moving to a centralized database?
b) What are the challenges of Internet access to this database? Do you recommend Internet access to this database? If yes how should it be done? If no, how do you recommend accessing the database?
c) How do you recommend the management should use the Internet, telecommunication and centralized database to support the company growth and maintain a competitive edge?
Question #2.

3. A data mart usually can be constructed more rapidly and at lower cost than a data warehouse because:)
        a data mart typically focuses on a single subject area or line of business.
        all the information is historical.
        a data mart is usually maintained completely at the Web site of the organization.
        all of the information belongs to a single company.

4. A wide area network:        gives equal power to all computers on the network and is used primarily in small networks.
        spans a large geographical distance, and may consist of a variety of media technologies.
        is a private, multipath, data-only, third-party-managed network that multiple organizations use on a subscription basis.
        has the technology to enable voice and data to run over a single network.
        routes and manages communications on the network and coordinates network resources.

5.
This software is built around thousands of predefined business processes:

process management software

collaboration software.

enterprise software.

groupware software.

6.
The most important communication standard today for linking disparate computers and networks is:
        Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
        International Standards Organization (ISO).

Open Systems Interconnection (OSI).

File Transfer Protocol (FTP).

7.
In a RFID system, a(n) ____________________ is electronically programmed with information that can uniquely identify an item, such as an electronic code.

reader
        antenna
        microchip
        transponder

8.
The most prominent data manipulation language today is:
        COBOL
        FORTRAN

SQL

Pascal

9.
Systems linked to the Internet are especially vulnerable to security breaches because:
        they lack firewalls.

they do not have secure physical facilities.

security is beyond the expertise of most IT professionals.

the Internet is designed to be an open environment.

10.
DSL is a:

packet-switching standard that parcels data into packets of 128 bytes.

method of parceling data into uniform cells to allow high-capacity transmission of voice, data, images, and video between different types of computers.

modem that is used to translate digital signals into analog form.

series of technologies for high-capacity transmission over copper wires.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr. Hollerith replied 7 years ago.
#10 and Lead question: DSL is a series of technologies for high-capacity transmission over copper wires.

#3. A data-mart is a database, or collection of databases, designed to help managers make strategic decisions about their business. Whereas a data warehouse combines databases across an entire enterprise, data marts are usually smaller and focus on a particular subject or department.

#4. A wide-area network is a computer network that spans a relatively large geographical area. Typically, a WAN consists of two or more local-area networks (LANs).

#5. Process management software is software that enables modeling, integrating, monitoring, and optimizing business process flows of all sizes, crossing any application, company boundary, or human interaction. Of the answers offered for #5, this is the best answer.

#6: TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) is the basic communication language or protocol of the Internet.

#7: An RFID system consists of an antenna and a transceiver, which read the radio frequency and transfer the information to a processing device, and a transponder, or tag, which is an integrated circuit containing the RF circuitry and information to be transmitted. The IC, or chip, does the sending.

#8: Historically, SQL has been the favorite query language for database management systems running on minicomputers and mainframes. Increasingly, however, SQL is being supported by PC database systems because it supports distributed databases (databases that are spread out over several computer systems). This enables several users on a local-area network to access the same database simultaneously.

#9: The internet is designed to be an open environment. Anyone can communicate with anyone. "There is no rose without a thorn".

Source: Webopedia
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok,the answer is too late and incomplete because the answer 1 and 2 the short essay you never show up.
OK. I going to pay for your work but I need that you answer like discussion treath other question, its ok?
1-Enerprise System: "If a company wants to implement an enterprise application, it had better do its homework." Discuss the implications of this statement.
Also Tuesday I going to send you another question, because you expert in this area.
Thank you Pedro
Anyway You do good job.
Thanks for your note. If you don't feel what I was able to answer was adequate, then don't feel obligated to pay.

None of us are on line around the clock, so often our answers will be well after your question is posted.

I have some experience, years ago, with corporate enterprise systems, but it isn't recent. That's why I wasn't comfortable answering the other parts of your question. If you wish, I can offer my personal observations, you can decide whether to use them or not. Here is my brief essay:

Question:

"If a company wants to implement an enterprise application, it had better do its homework". Discuss the implications of this statement.

Response:

Those who ask for implementation of an enterprise application expect that those who design the system will "do it right" and consider whatever needs to be considered. Often this just isn't so.

I was once asked to be the manager of a records management project. I was told that "every document regarding the construction project was in the system". After some research, here is what I found.

The construction project had a management office, an engineering design office, a construction office, an insurance office, a finance office, a legal office, and more. Imagine if you will a grid, with a list of the offices down the left side and across the top. Each box in the grid represented a communication channel, FROM the office on the left, TO the office at the top, for each box in the grid.

After a few questions, it became clear to me, and the people I was talking to, that the only documents that were REALLY in the system were letters and memos either FROM the project management office or TO the project management office. That's right, just ONE column and ONE row in the grid of possible communication channels.

After further review, I also learned, because of a lower-level person's emphasis on accuracy, there was a nine-month BACKLOG of documents waiting to be entered into the system. NO WONDER nobody used it.

The system's name was "MIRACLE", a clever acronym for something, I am sure... it was a miracle anyone actually retrieved anything. But it wasn't the system's fault, it was the way it was used and administered. Within a few months it was fixed - we had to transfer the people who wouldn't go along with the required changes... AND we ceased claiming that "everything about the project" was in the system. We DID capture other channels of documents and put them in.

This little story, over a relatively simple document retrieval system, is anecdotal evidence of the need for thorough, accurate planning, involving the people who will use AND who will administer any enterprise system.
Mr. Hollerith, Practical Experience!
Experience: IBM 360 SysOp (in 1966!). Heavy PC user. Introduced Mainframe & PC processes for 33 years at work.