BarbLawson, Programmer
Experience:  Computer Programmer, 4 yr college degree, 10 plus years on job experience

three reasons for the importance of computer networking

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Computer
Expert:  BarbLawson replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer I can give you more than three. The most important reason for computer networking, is security. Information stored within the network is only accessible to those who have been granted permission and provide the correct sign in and password. Data can be restricted individually, by departments, management level, etc. Say, if I log in and I work for the Accounting Department. I would only be able to see that information on the network that I have been granted access to. Information pertaining to Accounting and my own personal folders. I would not be able to see information from Human Resources or other areas of my company, especially if this information is sensitive such as personnel records, etc.

Computer networking provides a means of sharing services. These services include email, internet access, mainframe programs, server side software programs that can be loaded onto the main server and accessed by people on the network, etc.

The next most important thing about computer networking is the sharing and dissemination of information. As the above example, if I am in Accounting and multiple accounts maintain a spreasheet. All users in the accounting group granted permission, could access that file and make updates. The network provides a means of sharing, storing and retrieving information used individually and as a group.

Networks are expanding in the capabilities. There are software packages that can be installed so that computer technicians can remote into an individual's computer, install software and updates, correct problems, and assist in troubleshooting PC errors from a remote location without having to come on site. Virus protection software loaded on a network's server can automatically update virus definitions and scan computers for problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you have found this information useful. thanks, Barbara