Mike Teflon
Mike Teflon, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Engg. graduate with more than 7 years of development experience. Writer & Analyst
1874976

How can I keep Desktop active when computer not in use

I have a backup program for my hard drive. I am unable to do an automated backup as the computer goes back to the sign on page(I have a PW-protected user icon). When in the sign on page, the BU software cannot work as my desktop is not accessible.

I have two backup programs-Symantec Ghost V 10.0(backup is to an ext. harddrive) and AT&T Online Vault.

How can I get around this problem so that my desktop stays active when not in use?

ThankXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike Teflon replied 10 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Do you mean to say that the automated back up is not working when your computer goes into standby mode?

Do you have both back up programs installed on your computer simultaneously.. (sometimes can cause a conflict during an automated back up)?

Which program among both is used to make automated back up?

When did you first observe this problem? or has it been there since begining?

Please reply us asap so that we can finish answering this question..

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Both programs are installed & both are set up to make automatic backups(at different times of day).

Problem is with staying in an internet available mode on the computer & not w the BU programs.

HelloCustomer

Let me tell you, if the computer goes into standby mode, the backup programs may not run as the power is cut down to the peripheral devices, your monitor and even your harddrive.. however the power is made available to your memory only, so that you do not lose your contents..

As the backup programs interact with your harddisk to backup data, the same cannot be accomplished..

In order to rectify this try not to turn off harddisk feature..

to do this Right click on your desktop-> go to properties-> screensaver->power-> here see the feature Turn off harddisks select Never, click apply and click OK.

I think this might just do the trick..

Thank you very much..

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your accept, would you please leave me a positive feedback.. Pleasure working for you.

http://www.justanswer.com/leave_feedback.aspx

Thanks