Flagbridge-IT
Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant
Experience:  10 years+ IT Networking/Security, UNIX, Wireless

alphabetize label list in Word

Customer Question

I have two saved label lists I am trying to alphabetize through Word on my husbands Mac......I am not able to figure that out. I also want to create a new list and want to know how to alphabetize them from the get go.
Thanks
Barbara+
Category: Computer
Expert:  Flagbridge-IT replied 7 years ago.
Ok

In word, highlight all the text,

If each label is only one line then do the following.

Go to TABLE and the click SORT.
A box will show up, Change where it says Paragraph to Field 1. (this can be done with the little black arrows to the right)
Press OK.

If each label has more then ONE line in it. Make sure each label has a space between it.
HIghlight all the text
Go to TABLE and then click SORT
Press OK (we are sorting by paragraph)

That will allow you to alphabetize any list as you go. Type what you want highlight, go to table and click sort.

I hope that helps.

If it works, Please click accept to close the ticket. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: I did what you said. nothing happened In your instructions you said make sure each label has a space between it....or did you mean each line has a space. If I do that they wont fit on the label and run off the page. I am trying to alphabetize two lists that already exist. I highlighted them pushed ok and nothing. Nothing came up about paragraphs or alphabetizing.....I need to mention that the list is typed with first names then last names....no last names first and no mr. or mrs. I dont understand how from your description to start a new list and make it alphabetized. I am really a spaz when it comes to this kind of stuff. sorry.
b+
Ok no propblem, lets just take things one step at a time.

The first thing I will need to to is understand what this label list looks like.

can you email me a copy or a sample so I can take a look. that way we dont spend a bunch of time going down the wrong path.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: I am afraid I can not breach that confidentiality but I can tell you it is in three colums and it is about three or four pages with three colums on each page. Each address fits in the label format on the screen with not much room for anything else. I am using an avery 8160 template
b+
No problem,

I am getting a copy of the template now. Let me play around with it and I will get back to you in 5 or 10 minutes

Ok I figured it out I think. It will only alphabetize the on a colum by colum basis. It wont sort from top right to bottom left.

Do you have excel?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: Yes I have excel......sorry it took a while.....took kids to get ice cream after school for straight A report cards
Do all the addresses have the same number of lines?

If not then putting into excel could be a problem.

We can sort one collum at a time but not all colums.

There is not way to do it in Word

Winll one colum at a time help you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: Yes they all have the same lines.
Yes I can do one colum at a time
Ok I tried to import them across to excel and it does not do what I want properly.

So at the point if you want to use that template, each column will be sorted by itself.

Do do this highlight all the data in column 1. Go to TOOLS select Sort.

Choose Column 1 and Ascending

Do the same BUT the second column is ACUTALLY COLUM 3

The third column is ACUTALLY COLUM 5

There is a small sliver of a column between 1/3 and 3/5

Its not perfect but at least it does part of what you need.

I hope that helps

If it does please click accept to close the question.

Thanks

Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant
Experience: 10 years+ IT Networking/Security, UNIX, Wireless
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: I am not able to accomplish this the way you have told me so I do not accept. I appreciate the help.
Please explain what the exact problem is and why the above wont work

I will gladly work with you to solve it.

My explanation may be poorly written.

Would you like more assitance?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: no thank you someone else has helped me here locally....