Jeanne
Jeanne, Computer Tech Support
Experience:  4 Years computer technical support agent

My speakers wont turn on!

Customer Question

My speakers to my desktop pc won't turn on or make any noise.I have checked numerous times to see if it's connected correctly and it's all good.What do I do to solve my problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeanne replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

-First if available to you try a different set of speakers that you know work on a different computer.
-Second - restore to earlier date when speakers did work:
----Go to Start
----All programs (Programs)
----Accessories
----System Tools
----System Restore
----Select "Restore My Computer To Earlier Time"
----Click Next
----Choose a bold date on the calendar (when your speakers last worked)and click Next
----the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page will tell you some information about the system restore process - please read it through then click next -
----your computer will soon shut down and tell you it is preparing to restore - it will also give you a status bar.
----DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER DURING THE RESTORE PROCESS.
----When the computer reboots it will tell you that you have used the System Restore and that if you need to you can undo the changes - just click ok and see if your sound works (you probably will already know if it does work)

-Third -if system restore doesnt work then reinstall your audio drivers by going into safe mode and removing the audio driver from the device manager. Here is how you do this

Go to Start then to Turn Off Computer and
choose Turn Off. After the computer shuts
down completely find the F8 key on your
keyboard. Wait 10 seconds and turn on your
computer and tap on the F8 key till the
Windows Advanced Options Menu comes up.
In the Windows Advanced Options Menu choose
Safe Mode and press enter on your keyboard.

Choose Windows XP as your operating system if
necessary and press enter again. When it gets
to a log on screen choose Administrator.

Next you will see a notice that says "Windows
is running in Safe Mode", click yes to stay
in Safe Mode.

Now that your in safe mode go to Start then
Device Manager (you may have to go to
Settings first). When in the device manager
find "System" (you may need to switch to XXXXX)

In the System Properties window click on the
Device Manager button. Now find on the list of
devices the "Sound,Video and Game Controllers"
and click on the box with the + sign. This
will expand the list. Now find your Audio
Drivers on the list and RIGHT click your
mouse. That should bring up a small menu with
an option to uninstall. Left click Uninstall
and that will bring up a "Warning you are
About to Remove this Device". Click ok to
remove the device.

Now restart your computer and when it gets to
the desktop it will be in normal mode. Keep an
eye on the lower right of your screen, there
should be a balloon come up saying "Found New
Hardware". Just wait till the balloon goes
away and test your sound again.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Jeanne

P.S. Thank you Michael for assist and agree ;-)