Koachwiz
Koachwiz, Computer Engineer
Experience:  two decades of computer experience including hardware, software, security

How do I fix this error code, The environment ...

Customer Question

How do I fix this error code, "The environment specified is invalid". It started after uninstalling Adobe Acrobate to fix the IE / Adobe reader problem. Now all the printers are gone and all I get is this message.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Where to you get this message at while using your computer? Are you running XP SP1 or SP2? Where you using the full version of Acrobat or the free reader version?

Thank You,

Michael D.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: The message is from the "new hardware" box. It tries to install then quickly comes back with the "installation failed due to "the environment specified is invalid" I thought it might be an Al Gore virus, but no. running XP SP2, I keep the auto update on. It was a full version of Acrobat 5.
Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

I would like you to right click on My Computer and select Manage. Then select Device Manager. Look under here to see if you see any devices that are flagged with a red X or a yellow exclamation mark. If you see any thing like this let me know what they are. It sounds like there is a device that windows things that it needs to install a driver for. If you can find the device then you can delete it to keep this error from popping up.

Thank You,

Michael D.

Thank You
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: Sorry for not mentioning that one, that was the first place I looked. I even tried uninstalling all the usb connections and they came back up the same. Interstingly, I have a Brother lazer that shows up in device as working properly but does not show in the printer box and when at start up (or when unpluged and repluged) the system tries to install it I get the same message? The system seems to identify my two printers it just can't finish the install.
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like that when the Acrobat printer got removed it screwed something up. Do you have the orginal install disk for Acrobat 5? You may try installing it again to see if the problem clears and then remove the program again.

Just as an FYI, I'm going to be away from my desk this afternoon. I'll be back this evening so I can assist you.

Thank You,

Michael D.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: I'll try that and let you know one way or the other this evening.
OK it seems to have installed correctly but the pdf printer driver is not listing. I've gone over the registry again and am just not up to date enough to know whats missing. Ive run a register cleaner in hopes it would find something but not luck.
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

Is your other printer now showing up in the list? If not try to add it back in using the add printer wizard. When you reinstalled the software was there a specific option to install that piece? Is it possible to try and install just that piece of Adobe?

Thank You,

Michael D.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: Alright I've re-reinstalled Acrobat5 and it works fine except the printer driver is still not showing. All the printer installers do the same thing. Get to a certain point and it stops and backs off, cannot complete installation, "The environment specified is invalid".
Is there a way to configuire installer?
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.
Ok,

I have found bit and pieces of the same message you are getting. It sounds like there may be an issue with the print spooler. Let's take a look and see if the spooler is running on your computer.

1. Right click on my computer and select Manage.

2. Select Services and Applications

3. Select Services

4. Find the service called Print Spooler, double click and open it

5. The Start Type should be 'Automatic' and the service should be running. If the service status is showing to be Stopped, click the start button. If the service is running click the stop button. Wait for the service to stop and then click on the start button. See if you get any errors when it starts.

6. Click the Logon tab, Local System account should be selected and the "All service to interact..." should be checked.

7. Click on the dependency Tab. Do you see anything here other than Remote Procedure Call? If there are any other dependencies then it's possible this dependency is causing the spooler to hang giving you this message. The name of the dependency will give you a clue as what to look for in the next step.

8. Go to your Add/Remove Programs. Do you have any printer driver software installed besides the Adobe? You mentioned you have a Brother printer. If you see any Brother software in the Add/Remove programs uninstall it.

9. Reboot your PC and see if you can now install the Adobe PDF driver. If you can install it and it now shows a printer icon for it, try and reinstalling your printer. Did that work?

Thank you,

Michael D.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: The spooler was fine, Ive gone back through my programs and there's nothing left to uninstall related to printing. I double checked the drive itself and their all gone. I looked at the spool directory in windows and found nothing unusual, except the printer sub was empty? Is that where a list should be?
I have to be away most of Thursday if you think something else, please send away... I'll try it when I get back.
It has to be something in the windows installer. I went to MS update to see if anything was missing and it downloaded 8 things all seemed to install ok, but when booting now the new hardware comes up as unknown and their all related to my ATI graphics card. Properties shows the updated driver, and it's working fine. The other stuff was all MS related and seems fine. Where does windows keep an installer list?
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I got home from work and then went straight out. From your descriptions it appears that windows is trying to install the printer that is attached. If you remove the USB cable from your printer and then reboot, does windows still try to install and unknown device?

The url below is a great free utility to see what MS updates are installed.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

Thank You,

Michael D.
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

Take a look at the first image; are you able to select a
port when trying to install a printer manually and/or can you create a port by clicking on the bottom radio button on your computer? Look at the 2nd image; is this
the error you are getting when you try to continue installing it? Could
you also please check the event log to see if you are seeing any Yellow warning
entries or Red Error entries in the Application and System logs? Start
-> Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Event Log.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael D's Post: Thanks for coming back! I'll bump the funds to $30 today if we can get this resolved.
The second image you sent is exactly it!
Yes, I can get manual selection but the ports offered are: LFR port, MS Doc image writer, PDF port. If I select pdf port it asks to select a printer, nothing seems to work.
The event log in call order shows 5 red attempts to find printer drivers like this one:
"Printer Brother MFC-8300 failed to initialize because a suitable Brother MFC-8300 driver could not be found."
The others are fax capture and Distiller.
The next red one is:
"The USB Bridge Cable service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
But there's nothing in device manager to indicate a problem.
There's 2 yellow ones that say"
"MODE: Overscan mode not supported for the standard"
and another that is the ip address listing.

I'm hopeful since you found the same error message
Expert:  Koachwiz replied 8 years ago.

It sounds the print enviroment is totally messed up.

Can you check the following registry key:

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\print

Make sure there is an enviroments key there.

If it is possible, compare that key to the registry key on a functioning
system.

Please let me know

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Daniel's Post: Yes it's there. I'm noting 6 entrys on the print directory beides "default" on the other computer and only three on the affected machine, "BeepEnabled", "PortThreadPriority", SchedulerThreadPriority" The other has major and minor version plus a priority class.
The \print\environment has no setvalue on both. \print\environment\windowsNTX86\, there's a Directory | REG_SZ | W32x86 entry on the sample machine but no value on the affected one.
\drivers has no value on both Drivers\version-3 lists all the printers.
Expert:  Koachwiz replied 8 years ago.

Would you agree to a remote controlled session in which i can connect to your computer to fix the problem. it's totally option and you have the ability to disconnect at any time. Please send me an email at glotroninc@gmail.com if interested, so i can better understand your registry.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Daniel's Post: e-mail on its way
Expert:  Koachwiz replied 8 years ago.

Sent you instructions

Koachwiz, Computer Engineer
Experience: two decades of computer experience including hardware, software, security
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Daniel's Post: Thank you for the help today, sorry it didn't work. I had hoped someone would have come across this error before and it was a simple registry fix. I will continue to try, if you think of something, you have my e-mail.
Hope your next question is easier.
Expert:  Michael D replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike,

With everything we have done it sounds like that you will need to reinstall
XP. I'm not sure what you tried with Daniel, but from everything that I'm
hearing is that this problem isn't going to be fixed with out
reinstalling. You may be able to do a repair install to fix the printers
problem. If I was going to go through the trouble of reinstalling though I
would backup my data and start over with a fresh clean install of XP.

If I can be of any more assistance for you please let me know.

Thank You,

Michael D.