Stephen
Stephen, Programmer
Experience:  ***

WIFI used laptop - beginning dump of physical memory

Customer Question

I just got a laptop off ebay.(dell latitude cpx) every now and then, it will cut off and go to a blue screen which says a bunch of computer jargon with some familiar words being "STOP" "NTFS FILE SYSTEM" and finally it says "Beginning to dump physical memory". I don't know if it is doing anything but it just sits there. What is the problem and how do I fix it??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
restarting the computer is not stupid -- it almost always works. :)

Windows stop errors (which is what you are getting) are almost always due to a hardware problem.

If you can provide me with the numbers following the word STOP, I can give you a specific place to look.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: This time it said,

***STOP: 0x00000050 <0xA4591687,0x00000001,0x80465690,0x00000000>

***Address 80465690 base at 80400000,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

***Address 80465690 base at 80400000,
   DateStamp 3ee6c002 - ntoskrnl.exe

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

(usually it doesn't say physical memory dump complete so fast)
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
Here is the microsoft knowledge base article that will explain why you are getting this and what you can do to correct.

Article

If you have any questions after reading the article let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: I accidentally posted the first post prematurely. the second of the two posts is the correct one.
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
It's ok - the first set of numbers are the only thing that matter in that error.

The article I posted will still solve your problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: i'm going to go try. while i'm away, does it matter if i have windows 2000?
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
No. Windows 2000, NT, and XP are all built on the same base system and this will apply to all of them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: ok now i restarted it and when i try to start in safe mode. another blue screen comes up this one is smaller and it says

STOP: 0x0000007F <0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000> UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP>

I restarted the computer and tried it again and the same thing happened.
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
Hmmm.

That is a kernel trap error.

It sounds too me like there are significant problems with this computer.

Here is what I would do.

Completely wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of the OS.

This may fix the problems and allow you to use the computer..
This is assuming that your problems with the hardware are based on
conflicts with the OS.

If this does not work, then you will need to take the laptop into a
repair shop and let them try and figure out which peice of hardware is
causing these problems.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: and how do i wipe the drive and install a fresh copy
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.

Put your OS CD in the CD Rom and reboot. You should get a
message that says "Press any key to boot from CD". (if you don't
get that message let me know and we can make some adjustments).

Press any key.

the CD will boot in the setup procedure. Press enter and follow
the prompts. During the first part of the install process you
will be asked if you want to partition the hard drive and
re-format. Say yes, and using the prompts, delete the partitions
and reformat. This will take a few minutes, depending on the size
of the drive.

Follow the prompts through the installation and you will be all set..

Let me know if you need anything else.